1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting article

Last Updated:

1. robhs

robhs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 16, 2010
  2. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    While this article was interesting from a technical standpoint, I'm not surprised at the abuse of privacy.

Although I strongly disgree with these practices, the fact remains that there is far too much money in collecting personal data, and nothing in place to protect the individual.

Its been going on for long before smartphones, they simply make it easier.

Sad but true.
  3. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Sending a user's location every 30 seconds even when the program is not running doesn't sound like something that has always been done. Good thing the GPS isn't accurate on most of the Captivate phones...
  4. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    The disturbing part is that the program they tested their taintdroid app on was a wallpaper app that was included in a google investigation for possible privacy breeches...and google concluded in all its wisdom that it was "not a security threat".

Another equally disturbing quote from the google investigation article -

"The apps, it turns out, were accessing users' phone numbers, subscriber ID numbers, and voicemail numbers. According to their developer, the information was being used to identify devices and track users' preferences. Other Android programmers confirm that this explanation does make sense, though they're quick to point out that the same effect could be achieved in a far better -- and less data-intensive -- way."

How does our phone and voicemail number identify our devices and track our preferences? They don't need either one to identify our hardware and if it wants to track our preferences it needs to have us create an account and "log on" every time. I think the "other" Android developers comment was a gross understatement.

Anyway...anyone know where you can download this taintdroid? I've searched and cannot find it...
  5. staffsmatt

staffsmatt Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I too went looking for the app but according to cnet:

"Meanwhile, don't expect to be able to download the TaintDroid app anytime soon. It requires modifications to the firmware on the device to work, so users would have to jailbreak their phones and thus void the warranty to use it. But the researchers will offer it as an open-source tool for other researchers and developers to play with, Enck said."

It is a bit worrying that personal data is being blasted out all over the place and there's really very little you can do to stop it....