Interesting converstation with Verizon (2.2)General

Last Updated:

1. anderson620

anderson620 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just thought I'd pass along that I spoke with someone from Verizon last night while I was reporting my missing Eris :( and he told me that they have officially recieved documentation that ALL Android phones will be upgraded to 2.2 at the end of August. I know we've all been through this with the 2.1 update, but the guy I spoke with was very adamant that it would in fact happen across the board in an effort to reduce or eliminate the fragmentation plaguing our beloved OS now. Just thought I'd share.

Advertisement
  2. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

that makes some sense.... i read an article about 3.0(Gingerbread) and how it will only be compatible with higher end devices and that older devices are stuck with 2.1 or 2.2...

hopefully we get stuck with 2.2 in the end!

EDIT: sorry if we continue to kill more penguins :(

3. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

I read same article and thought same thing from it...... however the article was written by someone described by others as a blowhard with little insider scoop

as for me personally I would much prefer a root method that worked

4. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Well-Known Member

Yes, he was talking about their current phones - Droid, Droid Incredible, Droid X, Droid 2... etc.

The Droid Eris is no longer in their line-up... and even though I'd want to have a 2.2 update... I don't think it will be included. The HTC Hero on Sprint, essentially the Eris, has already been declared as NOT getting the 2.2 update.

Just to Clarify: Samsung Moment and HTC Hero Will Not Receive Android 2.2 | Android Phone Fans

5. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

I'm not going to hold my breath. If it rolls out -- great. I'll accept the OTA update. Definitely not going to lose any sleep over it. I don't think 2.2 has anything all that exciting anyway. 1.5 to 2.1 was a major upgrade.

6. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know about that. That extra .1 may just be a huge factor in the long run.

7. cmajpwc

cmajpwc Well-Known Member

2.1 is enough of an upgrade for me to make me happy if I never get 2.2. I am happy with my phone now, and I don't have any problems. If I get 2.2, great, but I won't be trying to root my phone just to get a glitchy 2.2 rom or something. As long as I get the maintenance OTA that is being rolled out now, and my phone continues to work, I don't care if I get 2.2. 2.1 is enough for me right now =]

And he never said it was phones across the Verizon line up, he just said all phones. So considering the Eris is the only phone that runs Android on Verizon that has been discontinued, it's a very real possibility the Eris could get it if HTC and Verizon decide to test it and make it work. The Eris can handle it, and it's a popular phone, so I can see why they would upgrade it again.

8. gpa111

gpa111 Well-Known Member

Googles 3.0 restrictions to me makes a very very strong reason for us to get 2.2. It provides an easy out for verizon regarding the eris, we wont get anything but matinence updates after that and no one can complain to verizon all they have to do is provide googles phone number. Would make sense to me.

9. truelove79

truelove79 Well-Known Member

There is little to no chance the Eris will ever get 2.2.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

10. xx_bishop_xx

So you're saying there's a chance.....?

[​IMG]

jreed2560, Mays24 and paleodust like this.
  11. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

I remember when everyone here said 2.1 wouldn't be coming to the Eris........

12. c_morton28

c_morton28 New Member

The Eris is going to get the upgrade from what I heard from tech support at HTC. I spoke with them yesterday and they said that it was being worked on at this point in time. They said that it would be available on there website when it is finished.

13. deathratlehead

deathratlehead Well-Known Member

14. our3rotts

our3rotts Guest

From what I read about the efficiency of .2, I think that .2 would be a huge advantage over .1.

I still have battery drain issues, though I no longer have the 50% or silent call, since I got my replacement phone. With moderate internet (1-2 hours) and minimum camera and/or GPS (<30 min) my battery life drops hard (more than 50-70%). I also have inconsisent compatibility with my Ford Sync system - totally unacceptable since my state is moving to hands-free as of today.

I've thought that root may clear the battery usage up for me, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

15. paleodust

paleodust Well-Known Member

I LOVE the idea of being able to install the apps on the SD card. So many apps, not enough space!

Plus, 2.2 is supposed to run more efficiently, from what I understand. Might make the Eris run better overall. I'm getting tired of the lag.

16. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

that little extra from 2.1 to 2.2 on the Droid is a HUGE difference!! blazing fast and more smooth than any custom 2.1 rom ever thought about. ya, you will want 2.2 on your Eris, trust me. go to the Droid root forums and look up threads showing Quadrant benchmarks with Froyo, and look at those differences. about all the screen shots are from overclocked Droids running at 1GHZ, but still a dramatic difference.

17. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

Poor, poor penguins.

18. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

everybody better remember what makes android possible
    and their Mascot is not gonna be too happy with 2.2 threads...
    [​IMG]

Eris is EOL, HOWEVER...HTC and Verizon know that many many people jumped to the Eris instead of the Droid when Android came to VZW. Also many people are still waiting for the Incredible. If they truly do not want to piss off HTC VZW Android Users, i think there is a slight chance that we might just see a 2.2 OTA. Don't get hopes up too much. But the chance is there.

We could just start sending letters to HTC about giving us 2.2, and maybe even get people waiting for the Incredible to join us

19. xx_bishop_xx

Tux will live forever.....

20. Blrfl

Blrfl Well-Known Member

+1. Emulated 2.2 runs rings around emulated 2.1.

--Mark

21. paleodust

paleodust Well-Known Member

In this world of faster Android phones, the Eris could use the extra bump in performance.

22. x531x

x531x Well-Known Member

The Eris is done for man.... there not getting it bro! its discontinued.

23. T-Keith

T-Keith Well-Known Member

Even if they don't give us 2.2, I'd be happy with root. I'll probably wait until my warrantee is up however. That said I think it would be in their best interest to upgrade us. 2.2
    Seems made for our slower phones.

24. gotweed

gotweed Well-Known Member

We should at least get 2.2 for the flash 10 and all bullshit we go through, id be happy if not ill go to rooting

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

25. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

What I want is an official announcement from Verizon if we will get 2.2 or not like Sprint.