Interesting message regarding custom ROMS on Motorola site...

Last Updated: 2010-03-04 09:16:08
  1. kbayer

kbayer Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. tats_06

tats_06 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I got my doubts too...Hmm nexus just sounds so good :p
  3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

I dont get what he is trying to get at. Like, is he just trying to hedge against the possibility people will brick? Or is he trying to make sure people know they are voiding their warranties? :confused:

Strange post indeed, but thanks for the link kbayer
  4. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

so she's basically saying, you can do your custom roms and whatnot, but do it properly? with one of their developer phones?
  5. nypuertorcn23

nypuertorcn23 Member

I can only hope that this is one of two things 1) this isn't an official statement from motorola and just a hoax or 2)someone at moto spoke outta line. i can not believe that they would make what could be considered one of the best open sourced phone in the market and then in a round about way say they'd like their phones to be treated like an iPhone or go somewhere else...i might be mis-reading but I LOVE MY DROID, but i might have to look at their perspective on it and follow THEIR advice for my next phone and buy me an HTC, if it does blow.
  6. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

I had no idea the Milestone was completely locked to development. That's a pretty big slap in the face if you ask me, and a deterrent for EU to develop anything with Moto phones, since it looks like their only open android phone is the Droid, which is CDMA.

At first I was expecting it to be a "we enjoy seeing such creative development, keep it up!" only to see, "Hey Milesone devs, go someplace else if you want to develop, apps or otherwise."

The controversy is about this thread, and why the Milestone can't boot unsigned firmware, whereas the Droid can. https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/114247#114247

The response is pretty much directed to this question:

7. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like Motorola made the Droid/ Adroid combo too good, and they fear that ROM developers are keeping it from becoming obsolete in the timespan they had forecasted for it.
  8. Droidophile

Droidophile Well-Known Member

It's simple once you get past his political correctness.

Here is the whole article summarized:

Stop putting custom ROMS on the Droid.
    Your tweets, twats, twits, and posts on other forums is futile.
    Motorola does not want. Period.
    Here's some silly links to open source stuff.
    Have a nice day.
  9. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

lol that actually makes more sense, I believe you successfully translated from marketing-speak to English. :)
  10. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

Actually it's more like

Q: Why can't we develop for the Milestone, like they can on the Droid?
    A: Because we don't want you to, and why the Droid can is a secret. Go buy a competitor's phone.
  11. Crazy_J

Crazy_J Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like that's they ways it is and you can't do anything about it, now stop bitching.
  12. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

Droid beats Moto's planned obsolescence. :D
    Also looks like Droid provides us with too many options and they are not pleased with how many devs have realized this fact.
  13. Decus22

Decus22 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Motorola either didn't have it figured out yet or is regretting not locking out the droid and will be locking out all other Android handsets. It also Sounds if and when I'm done with my droid MOTOROLA CAN SUCK IT!:eek: and I will go spend my hard earned money somewhere else.:D
  14. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Well-Known Member

Bad move moto. Last motorola I own probably
  15. Droid does (become the last Moto product I'll ever knowingly purchase)
  16. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Recommending a competitive product? I guess they're trying the Macy's Santa Claus approach.
  17. carlz28

carlz28 Well-Known Member

+1

While the bare-bones/stock DROID straight from the box is a very impressive piece of equipment, all the work that the devs from various website have done to make the DROID an even better phone is friggin' awesome!!!
    I fully understand that we are not entitled to future improvements and Moto has no obligation to us other than making sure the phone does what it's advertised to do. However, I certainly hope that Moto will continue to support updates in the future that Android itself releases...specifically for non-rooted users.

Two months ago, I was so hyped about a 2.1 update from Moto. But now that I am rooted and have everything it offers anyway (and way more than Moto could ever think of), I could care less if they ever update the phone (but I still respect those who choose not to root and still want an official update).

As long as the hardware can support such features, I have full faith in the devs to easily take me to Android 2.2 or 2.6 or 3.0...or whatever versions may come out from Google in the future.
    The devs may hit snags along the way and it may take awhile until a stable version is available of the then-current release of Android, but these guys (Pete, Taz, Steve, and all others) are doing great work!
    Moto should hire these guys fulltime!
    Then maybe, just maybe, Moto would regain some respect they have just recently re-lost...shame shame Moto!!!:mad:
    Moto is simply jealous that they aren't/can't delivering what the devs are delivering to us!
  18. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I feel for all the Milestone guys....this is some straight bullshit. I have no intention of purchasing a Droid 2 or any other Motorola Android handset if this is how they are going to do things. When ANY manufacturer recommends another companies product over their own then you know something is wrong.
  19. xodustrance

xodustrance Well-Known Member

Wow... I feel for the Milestone owners. My Droid is exactly what I want, and the way I want it. Its nice to have that freedom, I don't think I could go back to stock after experiencing the freedom I have with my phone.

:(

No droid 2 for me, no moto period for me after reading that. I don't see why they couldnt have an option to simply register your phone to get an unlocked boot loader, and consequently, void that serial numbers warranty.
  20. Apeman

Apeman Well-Known Member

I am about to call Motorola and ask for a refund, and show them what one of their employees said and tell them I am going to take their advice and get a Nexus One.

Love my Droid, but if Motorola is going to be this stupid, they are going to loose a developer and consumer customer.
  21. Droidophile

Droidophile Well-Known Member

Wow she is getting a flat out a$$ chewing in the comments section. Think they are listening?
  22. Icedemon

Icedemon Well-Known Member

It looks like you can make apps but you can't load custom roms. She mentioned that the second time she posted. Motorola don't make dev phones so she suggested if that's what your looking to do then go get a phone that supports that. At least that's how read it.
  23. esocid

esocid Well-Known Member

That's true, but the ire comes from Moto marketing the Milestone as a GSM Droid, which it turns out, isn't true. It does come with slightly different and/or new apps, such as equalizer, IM messenger, and FM radio, and a locked firmware/bootloader. The last part is what Moto said nothing about. I love the Droid, but no wonder Moto was heading down the tubes before, because they have no sense of creative direction, or love for the market they tried to get into, and can save (or could have saved) them: Android, and open source.
  24. FuhxTehAppelz

FuhxTehAppelz Well-Known Member

Don't think Motorola was really on the boat with the open source stuff to begin with. I think Verizon came to them with the idea and they figured they could make some quick bucks selling this handset before the Iphone comes to Verizon, had they attempted to launch the droid and the android platform without the network argument to lean on I don't think they would have been as successful as they have done. That being said, I dont agree with their recommending another manufacturers phones, but if they are not going to support it, and probably are not equipped to deal with the open source headache. This really isn't Motorola's arena. However as long as they offer a rootable device, I will probably buy it seeing as I have been thrilled with the droid, even out of the box. It is tough luck for you Europeans though.
  25. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

They probably are, but knows that Motorola runs a one-hit wonder 10-year decline company. So they have 9 more years before releasing something worth getting and hope people will forget about today like they did with Droid.