Interesting observation with batterys

Last Updated:

1. donclarkjr

donclarkjr Member This Topic's Starter

Like the title says I have something to add to the forum. I have to start off saying I love my Evo, switched from iphone 3GS and over the last week my Evo has blown away the iphone and has about the same battery life. Now on to it. I was 3rd in line to get the evo from the Sprint store release day morning. I played with the phone all weekend but I noticed it wasnt picking up 4G at all I would be lucky to get 1 bar no matter where I was in town. So Monday after launch I went back to the sprint store and the tech looked at it. He agreed something wasnt right so he placed a order for a replacement since they were still sold out. I got a call yesterday that the replacement was here and was able to get the phone swapped out. I will add the store was very easy to deal with getting me taken care of. When I was in the store I needed to swap out the 16Gig memory card for the 8Gig that came with it. When I did that the tech guy was very cool and said we only need the phone here take the old battery with you, you might need it. I thought cool so all day yesterday I used the new phone with the old battery because I knew it was fully charged.

It wasnt till last night when I was going to charge the phone I went to install the new battery and was going to let it get a full nights charge. I noticed the batteries were different. They have the same part number and was the same power rating but the color of the orange was different and the writing on the back was totally different as was the way the orange cover was put on. So I looked at the serial numbers and to me the new battery looked to have a older serial number. So I thought lets see if there is a difference in the amount of battery usage.

All day today I have used my phone none stop, it has been unplugged for 6.5 hours and still has 50% battery left. I will admit I had 4G on till around 10 this morning but at 10 I turned it off since I was around WiFi. I have used the phone more than normal today and I am begining to think there might be something different with the batteries. I know with the old battery I was using it would be around 20-25% by now. I would like to see what the guys batteries look like that are getting good or bad usage. The new one I think is working better, the easiest way to tell is the orange wrapping that covers the whole battery, my other battery that was launch day covered the front of the battery but if you look at the back it didnt quiet meet up and you could see silver/metal parts of the battery.

Maybe Im wrong but they might have changed something to push more of these phones out faster and the battery might have suffered. There are def different manufacturing clues here.

I will take pics of both batteries and see if I can post them later when I get home.

Advertisement
  2. donclarkjr

no one?

3. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Well-Known Member

...waiting for pics, so I can check the serials on my battery.

4. donclarkjr

5. jmcging

jmcging Active Member

your photos show up as private and reject me for not having rights.

6. donclarkjr

Sorry I fixed it
    see Apples dont always work I uploaded them through iphoto and told it to make them public lol

7. NSXLA

NSXLA Well-Known Member

Hmmm I got the new battery then, I don't have the golden lining

8. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

Same, I have the new one.

9. reneeb

reneeb Well-Known Member

I have the new battery too--and I get great battery life IMO.

Renee

10. jlgti

jlgti Member

i have the old battery and my battery life is terrible no where near what my iphone 3g was

11. lyons238

lyons238 Well-Known Member

wow nice find dude!

i just checked mine and i have the silver trim like the one you mentioned as the old battery. but i seem to getting about 15 hrs off each charge...it doesnt feel bad...

we need someone to actually test the 2 batteries

12. sdezrilov

sdezrilov Well-Known Member

I have the new and have had great battery life.

13. JayDH

JayDH Member

I have the old battery and pretty bad battery life. How do you think we can get the new battery?

14. thaboyz

thaboyz Well-Known Member

Everyone should know about this! Great find donclarkjr!

15. lyons238

thats weird though because i have the "old" battery and pretty good battery life...

like today i made a decent amount of texts and calls. browsed, used tapatalk, a few mins of gps, messed around with some other stuff. and i was at 8 1/2 hrs with 50% battery

16. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

This fix is waaaaay better than a silly battery. My EVO has been off the charger for 21 hours and I've been using it a lot today...48% power remains!

17. lyons238

dreamliner - that still doesn't fix the fact that some of us may have worse battery than others...

but i dont get it because i have the so called "old" battery and it seems fine

18. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Well-Known Member

^^it sat off the charger doing nothing....onceyou started using it after 10am you can see the drop in battery. I'd like to see that image, but after a full day of usage. Not calling you a liar, but I did that fix and used my phone and got nowhere near that kind of battery.

Covert_Death likes this.
  19. jlgti

jlgti Member

i have the old better which i stated in this post earlier and i will give you an idea of how bad it is. i woke up this morning grabbed my phone and took it to the place i go in the morning before i do anything else and went to two websites on it, i looked at the those two site for maybe a minute each that would be two minutes total and then checked my battery, it was at 88 percent after being off of the charger for 5 minutes and i pretty much have eveything disabled. i think there is a definate easy solution for this battery problem and this could be it because some people cant stand how terrible it is like me and some people say its ok. i live in fear that my battery wont make a 8 hour work day if i touch my phone it is ridiculous i talked to sprint and they suggested i try the same things everyone here does. i hope it is the battery because i cant live like this i love this phone and i dont want to get the iphone 4 but i will just so my battery doesnt die.

20. Rhonen

Rhonen Well-Known Member

Thanks - after I select CDMA auto (prl), does it apply automatically? I hit the back button, then home, but when I went back into the menu, GSM was selected again.

21. RussianVodka

RussianVodka Well-Known Member

Great find, theoretically. But I want to point out that in your screenshot the phone is barely being used at all.

Still worth a try though.

Also, if the phone doesn't even have a GSM receiver, does searching for a GSM signal waste any energy? Maybe the OS just checks if the receiver is there and then stops?

22. vikingjunior

vikingjunior Well-Known Member

Note to self...GSM auto prl and google talk starts up on reboot.

23. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

I have the new battery and yet my battery life is less than ideal. Although its a bit better after rooting and installing the OverclockWidget app, still, not as much as I would like for it to be at.

TS

24. lyons238

based on the results so far i dont think theres a diff between the "old" battery and the "new" battery. i think its more on personal settings/reception. because i have the old battery but its lasting 12+ hours with everyday use. any thoughts? i really wish someone could test both of these batteries

25. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

the difference seems to be the "old" batteries seem to have the "Pottential" to be crappy build while the new ones are getting a better rep

since its the same OEM battery as the Hero, has anyone swapped a OEM Hero or TP2 battery in there and noticed better battery life... this would directly point the issue to be the EVO battery

with that being said i have the "old" battery with the silver lining underneath and i am charging by 4-5 every day because it hits the %15 mark, i am barely using it cause i need it for calls to come through and i don't wanna kill it so i havn't been able to even use it, i did the CDMA trick, i'm on sprint only roaming, and my TWS is %67 LMAO, 4g, wifi, BT, GPS are all OFF, i have a static wallpaper, brightness is set to auto, and i don't have any apps running and stopping the phone from sleeping... i don't get it but HTC needs to fix this either patch or send me one of those "new" batteries