AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    alnova1 likes this.
  2. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member

Great read..and sad to say is true..

3. club968

club968 Well-Known Member

I think that this makes a lot of sense, unfortunately. I finally took the jump into android with the release of the Nexus One....it was all google and didn't have any restrictions put on it by any of the carriers. Before that I was all Nokia...and as poor an experience as that was, I stuck with them for nearly 5 years because they were the only company that easily provided a variety of unlocked and unbranded phones.

I've fell in love with the android experience that the Nexus One provides. So much so that its been the only phone I've owned for over 8 months now, and that blows away my normal interval of about 4-6 weeks with other phones. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can look forward to another "Google phone" and when my Nexus One retires, I may have to go to a different OS.

I think people would rather get the discounted phone and end up paying more during their 2 year contract (through higher monthly rates, tethering fees, etc...) vs paying full retail and enjoying a completely untampered with phone. Ah well....too bad I'm not into rooting, then there would be no issue for me.

4. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

"Dirty little secret"? Bitch please. Non-issue if you live in a country where the data model isn't batshit insane, stupid, and bent on gouging the consumer and all phones are unlocked. Maybe "Dirty little secret if you are unfortunate enough to live in the USA" would've been a more accurate title.

5. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Hmm, and where do you live grainysand?

6. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Asia, thankfully.

7. chris100575

chris100575 Well-Known Member

I agree with Grainysand, it's irrelevant in the UK and, I believe, most of Europe. Over here you can buy whichever phone you want on whichever network you want, or you can buy it unlocked and use your own sim.

By the sounds of it it's a problem with the phone carriers in the US, not with Android.