Interesting screen comparison

Last Updated:

1. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For anyone moaning about how poor the Desire screen is in sunlight, this may be worth watching.

Im not saying the desire screen is good in sunlight, its not, but Its not unusable even compared to other touch screen phones with super amoled or tft screens.

I think it stands up very well in this comparison to be honest

Super AMOLED vs AMOLED vs LCD in direct sunlight... fight! (video) -- Engadget

Advertisement
  2. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

I am actually surprised how clear the X10 is. I have no problems with the sunlight with the brightness turned to full. As I said on another thread how often are you in direct sunlight anyway. The burning radiation on my back cannot be a good thing.

3. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member

The X10 looks the winner to me going by that video. I expected the Galaxy S to have performed better tbh.

4. julianb

julianb Active Member

Well according to Samsung Super AMOLED is only 30% better than AMOLED. Hence the not so great (but still much better) results.

5. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The reason I posted this was because you see so many people complain about the Desire screen like its the worst screen they ever saw in daylight,

when in reality its no worse than the majority of screens out there.

And its bloody fantastic in the shade/indoors... that more than makes up for the odd occasion that i find myself having to up the brightness outside to see the screen.

6. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

I completely agree. No phone I have ever had has been that great in direct sunlight so not sure what all the moaning is about. Sure its not crystal clear but if you wack the brightness upto 100% then its pretty good.

7. Panama

Panama Active Member

I couldn't agree more :)

8. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member

Well i'll be honest, i was seriously considering getting the Galaxy S even though i have a Desire after reading how (supposedly) well the screen can cope in sunny conditons, but after seeing the video i am left a little disappointed. I expected better from the super AMOLED screen.

At this moment in time i think i will stick with my Desire as its still a GREAT phone!

9. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

i couldn't just swap my Desire because of the screen issues, no other device comes close to our Desire including samsung, motorola, sony ericson etc
    htc Deisre is the bench mark for the next couple of years, then, something much more improved will come about.
    for the screen issues, yesterday was a very sunny and bright day and I had no proble in using my phone outdoors. It seems that the more you think about it the worst it gets and the less u think about it the more content you get

10. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

I agree about the screen with the many on this thread, and few of those on other threads. It works well enough given that it is a 'screen' of this kind of spec. in bright sunlight, and I use the auto setting. I accept that it is not as clear as I would like, but then again, I would like a lot of things, most of which are either illegal, immoral or just near-impossible =)

My top tip for those having problems in sunlight? TAKE YER SUNGLASSES OFF... it is a lot more legible that way ;P

nx1977 likes this.
  11. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

Like Zafonic, I was also slightly disappointed by the performance of the Galaxy S in the video. I was expecting it to look a lot better in direct sunlight.

12. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

To me the Desire was just as good as the Galaxy S.

13. haris9

haris9 Well-Known Member

what about this video, here xperia x10 has some trouble other than htc devices.
    YouTube - HTC Desire, Nexus One and Xperia X10 screen comparison in direct sunlight #1 - Swedroid.se isn't it ?