Interesting thread about SGS-> concerns...

Last Updated:

1. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

This thread on XDA is about folks discussing issues with the SGS. Includes topics of a lot of things we all see as various issues. Topic doesn't say SGS, but it is in the I9000 forum, and some of the comments do.

[SIGH]Makes me really concerned about whether I should spring for the Captivate or not. [/SIGH]

Advertisement
  2. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Observations:

• it's his 1st Android phone - takes getting used to no matter what (goes for his market/apps comments as well)
    • his main beef is Exchange support/config
    • he's trying to use Kies, probably b/c of Outlook sync
    • the battery issue is the most interesting gripe, but I always thought that WiFi used more battery than the usual data connection?

3. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

using wifi alot certainly would use more battery than regular data connection. That's true with any smartphone.

4. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yep. Although re: that thread, there are many other replies in that thread about more than battery complaint.

Along with battery concerns are GPS, LAG, Kies not working, WIFI dropping problems, nootifications being inconsistent across apps and duplicating.

But all said and done, I'm sure I'm going to learn for myself ;-).

5. subie41ife

subie41ife Well-Known Member

^^^ agree, can't be worse then this iPhone 4 service problems i'm having ;0)

I'm finally making the big jump from IOS4/Apple for the past 3 years of my life to Android, I just hope this phone doesnt turn me down!

6. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

It's almost exactly the opposite. Using Wifi would actually use less battery since it is more efficient than 3G data modems inside modern smartphones.

7. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Link? I searched & only found stuff related to iPhones... which... well, yeah.

8. Jofaba

Jofaba Well-Known Member

This goes against all modern WiFi field testing that I've read about. It's apparently possible to greatly INCREASE battery life by changing, via software upgrade, the way wifi is received by the phone. But the current configuration is a great drain on the battery.

Technology Review: How Wi-Fi Drains Your Cell Phone

t-readyroc likes this.
  9. Darkeligos

Darkeligos Well-Known Member

Yeah Wi-Fi destroys my battery compared to 3G. I'm not sure where the opposite was heard.