• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interesting tips on Battery life according to Samsung (Canopy)

Snakeyeskm

Apr 8, 2014
US
According to Samsung the best charging practice for their Smart phone lithium ion batteries is: –

1) Try not to let the charge fall below 50%.
2) Remove the battery from the charger before 100% charge is reached – 80 to 90% is recommended.
3) Do not leave the phone plugged in the charger once it's fully charged.

Kind of Interesting percentages and suggestions, at least the first time I've heard these Percentages.

Source: Samsung's Canopy app – "Keep your Smartphone Charged"

Or you could read this:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Basically, you don't want to fall below 50% because you'll have exponentially decreasing number of charge cycles, hence the shorten the battery life. It appears ideal to keep it at high charge rate as often as possible.

A lithium ion is fully charged when all of the ions are polarized to the positive side. Battery life shortens because of charge fade in the ions over time. They become less responsive to charging/polarization. Keeping the battery at say 85% of the charge means that 15% of the ions are not charged, and thus will not experience charge fade. Hence when the other ions are failing, you still have a reserve that's not faded, hence you will have more charge cycles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For my polite friends who were curious: –
the Samsung canopy app does not allow (or I don't know how) to export an article, so I took a screenshot. Again, this is so far from the norm that I figured some members might find it interesting.

You know I am messing with you. That's why I put a smiley face on my message.

I work in the media business, we need to verify everything that comes across our plate. no offense to you, being a skeptic until verified proof is found, is ingrained into my brain.

Upvote 0
I used be pretty fixated on battery life, maximizing things, optimizing things. Basically obsessed, and then at some point I realized I'd much rather just use my phone and enjoy it. I charge it up once or twice a day, depending on what busy things are and that's about it. Samsung can publish all the White papers it wants to, I had to stop letting my phone own me so 50% or 90% or whatever is irrelevant to me now.

Reactions: Snakeyeskm
Upvote 0
I used be pretty fixated on battery life, maximizing things, optimizing things. Basically obsessed, and then at some point I realized I'd much rather just use my phone and enjoy it. I charge it up once or twice a day, depending on what busy things are and that's about it. Samsung can publish all the White papers it wants to, I had to stop letting my phone own me so 50% or 90% or whatever is irrelevant to me now.
True this. Lol. I never had a care how I used my Note 2's battery and it remained serviceable for 2 years. I'm a bit wary on my S7 though, since battery is enclosed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones