Interesting video results I'm hoping someone can confirm

Last Updated:

1. krichek

krichek Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I ran a number of different encoding tests tonight and have come up with some rather interesting and odd results. I'm hoping someone else can do some tests of their own and either confirm or dispute my results.

The X will play files encoded in VC1 (advanced profile) @ 852x480 with a bitrate upto 8Mbps +192Kbps audio. I could not get it to ever play any WMV encodes with a resolution above 852x480 anytime I tried I would get an error stating "the file could not be displayed or played".

Using handbrake I was able to make several h.264 encodes at 1280x720 that played no problem on the X. The Highest of these had a video bitrate of 1661Kbps with 160Kbps AAC Audio. I didn't go any higher than this as there were a few stutters occasionaly. Source Material was Kung-Fu Panda (Bluray).

I am not sure why the X will not play WMV files with a resolution higher than 852x480, it played all of the VC1 encodes VERY well, I saw no stutters/dropped frames at all even at 8Mbps!

I plan to do some more testing in the morning with some xvid/divx encodes. I was hoping to have several test files in place before my HDMI cable arrived so that I could see which codec provided the best output to a HDTV from the X. Now I am curious if any of the other supported formats have restrictions on their output resolutions.

Advertisement
    gmoonit likes this.
  2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Good info. Post more when you can.

O don't think my incredible played stuff wroth real high bitrates

3. gmoonit

gmoonit New Member

Thanks for this post -- I am about to encode some stuff in your recommended bitrates and see how it works... i'm gonna go with the new star trek i have in 1080p, bring it down to 720... we'll see

thanks,
    Greg

4. flenn

flenn Member

This is my first Android phone, what file format do you guys suggest for movies?