• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interesting warranty question.

BACKGROUND:
So my wife and I have the same phones (Dinc's) and she just got a replacement for hers. It's not even a year old and she keeps dropping calls in a specific area of about 5 miles from home. We went to Verizon and the guy said that all the dropped calls were from 3 specific towers. They said they would send a tech to check the towers. tech said they were fine and that it was the phone.

I've had my phone for a while and the speaker blew after my warranty ended. I never got it fixed because I'm lazy and its rooted.

My question:

Does anyone know if Verizon keeps track of the serial numbers when you replace a phone under warranty?

I know her phone isn't broke because I drop my data connection in the same area. ( I don't really use it for a phone. More internet radio) I want to give Verizon my phone instead of her's. Do you think it will work? What are you're thoughts?

About a month ago my friend tried his hand at rooting and managed to screw up his phone so that it would only boot with a power cord plugged in and refused to read a sd card. Apparently the phone would only boot to Qualcomm dev mode and there is no known fix to get it back to normal.

He was out of warranty but his brother with the same phone was still under warranty, so he called for a warranty replacement on his brother's line and sent his phone when they sent the replacement. At first they never acknowledged they received the phone and were threatening to charge the full retail to his bill, but he called in and explained he and his brother had switched phones the month before. They located the problem phone sent back and even though it wasn't the serial number under warranty there wasn't any further trouble. I'm certainly not advising you or anyone to try this, I'm just letting you know his experience.

Upvote 0
About a month ago my friend tried his hand at rooting and managed to screw up his phone so that it would only boot with a power cord plugged in and refused to read a sd card. Apparently the phone would only boot to Qualcomm dev mode and there is no known fix to get it back to normal.

If it was an incredible, you get out of development mode by pulling the battery.

Edit: battery pull gets you out of Qualcomm diagnostic mode, not sure what development mode is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones