Intermittent signalSupport

1. LeilsM

LeilsM New Member

Hi all,
    I'm hoping you can help. I moved over to giffgaff (i.e. O2 network) on 9th Oct, SIM only deal. Everything working fine until 18th Oct, when suddenly I lost all signal. It didn't matter where I was, it just wouldn't work (and double checked with O2 coverage in the area; it said that everything was fine). Other things that I tried:

- turning it on/off
    - going in and out of airplane mode
    - factory resetting the whole phone, and retyping the APNs
    - putting my SIM in another phone (only have access to an old Nokia, but immediately I had reception in the other phone, suggesting a problem with my phone, not the network?)

This morning, I miraculously got web and phone reception perfectly for about an hour, and then it disappeared again. It's definitely not a signal thing, it's like the whole phone gets jammed.

So I was just wondering: is there anything else that I can try or that I'm missing? Or does this sound like a fault with my phone and realistically I need to get a new one? Or is there somewhere in London that I could take it to be fixed?

Sorry for the questions - I'm not very techy but really don't want to part with my HTC Desire if I don't have to!

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    L.

Advertisement
    :
  2. overblood

overblood Member

I'm not very techy either but I'll just add what I can.

I would recommend an app called CatLog. It lets you see what your phone is doing behind the scenes. Just get it from the play store. Let it run for a while and see if any errors pop up. You can press the menu button and choose Log level > Error to see just errors. You can save the errors as a text file and upload them here. I won't be able to help you with the logs though ... cos I'm a noob and I don't understand them. :) Maybe somebody here will be able to "read" them though.

Also, I bought a Desire a few months ago with this problem and it turned out to be water damage. I could see the old drop marks when I opened up the phone. You didn't get it wet recently?
    LeilsM likes this.
  3. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

Do you have another sim card from another network you could try? I'm assuming your phone isn't sim locked if you are using GiffGaff.

Alternatively contact GiffGaff & get them to run some tests. I had a problem with my wife's phone not receiving texts recently. The sim card was faulty.
    LeilsM likes this.
  4. LeilsM

LeilsM New Member

Thank you both so much for your help.

Nicka3200 - unfortunately no SIMs work in my phone, so I think it really is a phone problem not a SIM problem.

Overblood - have run CatLog now and will post the results on a new thread. Maybe someone techy will have the answer!

Thanks again for all your help.
  5. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

How old is your phone? It has a 2 year warranty. HTC repairs collect, repair & return warranty repairs.

HTC Support Center
  6. LeilsM

LeilsM New Member

It pretty much died the day my warranty ended. Typical! But thanks for the thought.