Intermittent signalSupport

Last Updated:

1. LeilsM

LeilsM New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,
    I'm hoping you can help. I moved over to giffgaff (i.e. O2 network) on 9th Oct, SIM only deal. Everything working fine until 18th Oct, when suddenly I lost all signal. It didn't matter where I was, it just wouldn't work (and double checked with O2 coverage in the area; it said that everything was fine). Other things that I tried:

- turning it on/off
    - going in and out of airplane mode
    - factory resetting the whole phone, and retyping the APNs
    - putting my SIM in another phone (only have access to an old Nokia, but immediately I had reception in the other phone, suggesting a problem with my phone, not the network?)

This morning, I miraculously got web and phone reception perfectly for about an hour, and then it disappeared again. It's definitely not a signal thing, it's like the whole phone gets jammed.

So I was just wondering: is there anything else that I can try or that I'm missing? Or does this sound like a fault with my phone and realistically I need to get a new one? Or is there somewhere in London that I could take it to be fixed?

Sorry for the questions - I'm not very techy but really don't want to part with my HTC Desire if I don't have to!

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    L.

Advertisement
  2. overblood

overblood Member

I'm not very techy either but I'll just add what I can.

I would recommend an app called CatLog. It lets you see what your phone is doing behind the scenes. Just get it from the play store. Let it run for a while and see if any errors pop up. You can press the menu button and choose Log level > Error to see just errors. You can save the errors as a text file and upload them here. I won't be able to help you with the logs though ... cos I'm a noob and I don't understand them. :) Maybe somebody here will be able to "read" them though.

Also, I bought a Desire a few months ago with this problem and it turned out to be water damage. I could see the old drop marks when I opened up the phone. You didn't get it wet recently?

LeilsM likes this.
  3. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

Do you have another sim card from another network you could try? I'm assuming your phone isn't sim locked if you are using GiffGaff.

Alternatively contact GiffGaff & get them to run some tests. I had a problem with my wife's phone not receiving texts recently. The sim card was faulty.

LeilsM likes this.
  4. LeilsM

Thank you both so much for your help.

Nicka3200 - unfortunately no SIMs work in my phone, so I think it really is a phone problem not a SIM problem.

Overblood - have run CatLog now and will post the results on a new thread. Maybe someone techy will have the answer!

Thanks again for all your help.

5. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

How old is your phone? It has a 2 year warranty. HTC repairs collect, repair & return warranty repairs.

HTC Support Center

6. LeilsM

It pretty much died the day my warranty ended. Typical! But thanks for the thought.