Internal memory... Again

Last Updated:

1. GSMGuy

GSMGuy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, been getting the "low memory" errror for a week or two, and just looked at the app size - Well Contacts was taking up 81mb! (I have a lot)

So, just weeded out my contacts from over 500, to 220 odd, and space used by contacts has gone from 81mb... to.. 79mb??

Whats going on, just deleted over 300 contacts!

Mike

Advertisement
  2. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Reboot the phone, it doesn't seem to recognise the changes until you do this.

Either that or it's something else taking up the space, clear your cache as well.

3. GSMGuy

Rebootimg, even battery off has not made a differnce, so thought I would try a different approach..

So exported all contacts to SD card, and then DELETED ALL contacts in the phone, rebooted and checked "people" - No contacts which is correct - HOWEVER I am still low on space...

Manage apps/sort by size - Yup, contacts is STILL 79.21mb???

What is going on???

Mike

4. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

If you press the contacts entry in manage apps. What is larger data or cache. you could try clearing data if its in there

5. GSMGuy

Was just about to try that, and now have got the "The Application HTC Sense process com htc etc has stopped unexpectadly" Please try again/force close message

GRR!

Mike

6. GSMGuy

Ok, now that I have found a fix for the "htc sense stopped etc" problem that DOESN'T involve a factory reset, or any data loss :D I have now cleared the conttacts data, and it is 0.0 again.. So will now restore my contacts from SD and see what happens!

Mike

7. GSMGuy

Ok, contacts restored, and now only taking up 800k - Bizarre!!!

Mike

8. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

good stuff

9. GSMGuy

Right, after being fine for over a month - got the "Phone getting low on space warning" again today - Had a quick check, and "contacts" is now taking up 54mb again!!!

I have not added or deleted any contacts whatsoever...

So, exported all to SD Card, and then deleted from phone, and re imported - Contacts now taking up 800k again...

Anyone have any idea what is happening?? Howcome the contacts file increases in size by about 60x??

I have the contacts linked to their facebook entries, but I only have 25 friends (sad I know) But I am at a loss as to why this is happening....

Also, is it possible to move the contacts app & data to the SD Card rather than have it in the phone?

Mike

10. chef_adrian

chef_adrian Active Member

I have the same issue. Would love to know of any fixes

11. GSMGuy

I'm presuming it must have something to do with being synced to facebook contacts, but I just don't understand - Surely I can't be the only one having this prob??

PS my desire is runnig 2.2 and now unbranded, BUT it did it with 2.1/Orange branding also...

Mike

12. diS

diS Well-Known Member

Mine is only taking up 4,24MB (Unbranded HTC Desire on Froyo)
    I've got arround 160 contacts all linked to facebook...

It's really weird that it increases that much?

13. miceagol

miceagol Member

I have the same problem. 140 contacts swallow 47 MB. I just did a factory reset, and the size was 10 MB right after I had imported the backup of my contacts. I linked my contacts to facebook. Maybe that's the problem?

Don't really know how to deal with this. If I delete all my contacts and reimport them I'm sure the memory leak will be back sometime anyhow. Will I lose the facebook linking if I export my contacts to Google?

14. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Are your contacts "Phone"?

15. miceagol

miceagol Member

That is indeed correct. Should I store them in some other way?

And now contacts is suddenly 52 MB. Increased 5 MB in 20 minutes. WTF!? :-|

16. SUroot

You can export them to SD then clear contacts storage data in manage applications. re-import and select type as "google". This will upload them to gmail, but once it resync's, the data will come back up. You may need to relink FB contacts too.

ernolander likes this.
  17. spile

spile Well-Known Member

When I had the contacts memory leak problem I had to hard reset to get the space back. Contact space is starting to be eaten up again so will try to clear the cache as described above next time. This really does need fixing.

18. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

This problem is caused by syncing Contacts with the Facebook Online Directory, which is different to the Facebook app. The Directory pulls down profile pictures and info for all facebook friends, even those not in your phone contacts.

You'll get Force Close errors when your phone storage nears it's limit while facebook data is being added. Unless you can clear the Contacts Storage data before that happens, the only solution is system reset.

To clear Contacts Storage: Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All > Contacts Storage > Clear data

NOTE: Clearing the data will remove ALL contacts from your phone, including those you entered before syncing with Facebook, so make sure you have them backed up on SD card or linked to a Google email account.

Tyseyh, ErinK and ernolander like this.
  19. miceagol

miceagol Member

Thanks! I cleared the contacts data and imported them as Google. Now the contacts only take 8 MB. Will see how this goes over time. :)

20. dserodio

dserodio Member

I have some contacts "linked" to Facebook, is this "syncing with the Facebook Online Directory"?

Is there some way to link some Contacts to their Facebook accounts without this waste?

21. Eris Ed

Unfortunately not - I've wanted to do just that since I got my Desire but it's not possible, it's all or nothing. Which is a big shame. The few Google contacts I have with FB accounts were improved by linking to Facebook, but in the end it wasn't worth all the wasted storage space so I cleared Contacts data and signed out of the online directory.

dserodio likes this.
  22. kiratomic

kiratomic Well-Known Member

hiya
    how exactly do i unsync with the Facebook Online Directory? do i unsync contacts individualy, or is there one big button to do the job?

23. SUroot

You'd have to turn it off in accounts and sync, but the data will still be there. Hopefully your contacts are google ones, cause if you clear data on "contacts storage" via manage applications, you will just resytnc the google contacts automatically.

If your contacts are phone contacts, youd have to export to SD and reimport after the data clear.

eringirl7 likes this.
  24. dserodio

dserodio Member

On the Facebook app, there's a "Logout" option on the menu. Clicking on this button prompts "Logging out will remove your Facebook data from this phone. Do you want to logout?".

I didn't click yes, but I assume this would turn off Facebook contacts synchronization.

25. Eris Ed

The Facebook app is NOT the same as the Facebook Online Directory. There's a separate log in for each, and it's the Directory that fills storage space.

dserodio likes this.