Internal memory (broken record)

Last Updated:

1. deek0

deek0 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Right. I've read post and post about internal memory issues a but I just can't figure out what my issue is.

I've got an unbranded desire running on the most recent official firmware (updated yesterday)

I'm forever downloading new apps and deleting old ones. I run on the 15mb threshold most of the time but no matter what I do I usually end up back at 15mb. To do my update yesterday I had to delete at least 10mb so it could install. Deleted several apps and had 26mb free. After the update I still had the 26mb and reinstalled one app jorte.

Today I'm back at 15mb without downloading any apps. Cache on dolphin browser is SD card and I have as much, where possible, saved to the SD card but something seems to keep filling up my internal memory.

I've carried out several factory re-sets to no joy.

Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. zztop8

zztop8 Active Member

i also have the same pb but on my x10, i have usualy about 50 Mb free but still my speed when i wanna to scroll between screens is very low....i need an advice because is very bad situation...i realy don't know how to proceed

3. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Over the time the waste baskets of the email accounts are filling with a few MB.
    And they are on the phone memory.

After clearing it you have to reboot the phone to get the memory space.
    The same is with cache space.

Harry

4. deek0

deek0 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Is this all email accounts...... ie stock email client and gmail?

Can you limit the size they use?

5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

On my Desire: No
    On my Desire HD: No, but memory is no problem :)

I can only limit the mail input (stock mail), but who want only have text mail?

EDIT: 3 stock mail, 1 gmail

Harry

6. snakeeyes21

snakeeyes21 Well-Known Member

data2sd is your friend, I now have 1.5gb internal memory....

7. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Your phone manages internal memory as it see's fit. I have been running with around 15mb free since I can remember. As far as I can work out, 15mb free is normal and your phones are working correctly!

8. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

How many contacts do you have?

9. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

One of your apps is downloading or caching data. For most apps, this is stored in the internal phone memory by default.

Another user noticed that Facebook was using a lot of internal memory space.

Check your apps, see which ones are using a lot of space in the cache. That is the first step. You need to identify the app.

It's possible some apps might have a way to limit this in their settings. And you can certainly clear it manually if needed.

How is that even remotely the same problem as what the OP is talking about? He said nothing about speed at all. Plus, this is the Desire forum, not the x10 forum.

You really should try finding a thread that is about your question. Tip: This one isn't it.

10. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

For an overall view on all caches of the apps you could use
    Quick App Clean Cache - Android
    As not rooted user the app delivers you a list, sorted by chache size :)

Harry

11. spile

spile Well-Known Member

As others have posted it appears that the leaking memory problem is defintelty related to the contacts application and I don't think an external app is going to help with that as this is looked after by the built in app.
    As an example, the contacts on newly recently reset Desire took up 3Mb, a week later they take up 10Mb. Before the reset and after 4 weeks of use, they took up 90Mb!
    These are the SAME contacts - number and content!
    I suspect those of you with small contact numbers and large amounts of memory (eg Desire HD) are only delaying the inevitable as it will hit you - it'll just take a lot longer :)
    My pennyworth anyway!

12. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

If its a bug in the people app, it may have been resolved with the HD.

Its not an android issue as I use android contacts and do not have this issue, so it must be HTC.

13. steslatt

steslatt Well-Known Member

My problem was down to my contacts. I think it was because it was syncing with gmail and importing over 600 contacts. I went into my gmail account and into contacts, deleted the majority of contatcs, then cleared the contatcs data in my phone. This has seem to work for me but just see whats using your memory...
    Just go to Settings>Applications>Manage applications> go to the All tab, wait for the memory to compute, then menu>Sort by size> this will show what is taking up the space.

14. SUroot

I still think its HTC people.

I have 100 Gmail contacts 2MB (that also includes 200 facebook but lets forget that)

So you have 6x100 Gmail contacts, in theory your contacts storage should be 12MB if mine is anything to go by.

You had 6x my contacts, but 48x my storage. Something definitely wrong there.

15. steslatt

steslatt Well-Known Member

Yes definitely something wrong. I'm just keeping an eye on mine now.

16. SUroot

Yeah definitely a good idea.