• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internal Memory consumption - hidden files and other problems

betsha

Lurker
Feb 21, 2012
I have only 150mb of internal memory on my phone. These are some items that consume critical amounts of internal memory space. I hope to raise awareness and find solutions.

When I download an app, it seems I am downloading an install package. The installed app itself takes up additional space. I believe the install package persists on the internal memory, invisible to the average retail user, and takes up internal space even after the app is moved to the card.

Ex: an anonymous app
android market listed size- 3.51mb (this must be the download size of the installer)
download and install on internal memory, size listed- 5.73mb
move to SD card, size listed- 2mb
move back to internal memory, size listed- 5.73mb

Further thoughts:

1. The install package seems to remain on the internal memory even though the app moves to the card.

2. Beyond the above example, I went through each and every item listed in my settings - applications - storage use - All.
I found 105 total items on internal memory and SD card all together. By adding up the listed "Total" size of each (yes, I went through each and every one), I arrived at approximately 109mb. The phone lists internal memory use at 135mb. I would expect the internal memory use to be LESS than 109mb because some of the apps are on the card. My assumption is that much of this extra internal storage is taken up by all of the installers sitting invisible on the internal memory.

3. Based on observing the change in the Internal Memory usage when I delete app "Data", I believe the app data is being written to the internal memory even if the app is on the SD card.

Yet uninvestigated:

Why isn't the install package deleted after the app is successfully installed? Is there an app for that?

If I uninstall the app while it sits on internal memory, does it also delete the install package?

If I uninstall the app without first moving it back to the internal memory, does it delete the uninstall package?

How can I reclaim this internal memory space for acutal use???
(wildfire S on virgin mobile)

Welcome to AF betsha :D

After an app is downloaded from the market parts of the apk file may be extracted or it may create additional folders it needs for use which is why you may be seeing a difference between the market size and installed size.

1. Not all of the app can be moved to the SD card.

2. The apk file must remain in the memory to show as an installed app. Not all of the file is extracted when installed, if you delete the apk file it will remove the app from being installed.

3. I believe different apps will react differently to being moved to the SD card. Some can't be moved at all and still function, others will allow you to do so but I think it is up to the dev to determine where the app data is stored.

As I said before you can't delete the apk to have the app installed. If you uninstall the app then the apk file should also be removed regardless of if the app is on internal memory or the SD card.

The best way to reclaim your memory would be uninstall apps that you do not use. You could also clear cache on apps (I don't recommend clearing data since that will remove game progress, saved passwords, user settings...) but the most effective way would be choosing what apps you don't need and uninstalling those.

I hope this helps some :)

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Yeahha thank you for an extensive answer.
I am constantly clearing cache and also deleting data to gain more space.

I exclusively favor downloads I can move to the SD card. I must also forego too many apps in order to save space for my critical/favorite apps. Ex: Maps, Gmail, Internet consistently sit @10mb and are stuck on internal storage. Other apps moved to SD store enough data on internal memory to take a serious bite. ex: 5 apps, each leaving 2-7mb installers on internal memory lock up ~25mb internal memory even with the app itself on the card. I only have 150mb internal mem.

I don't use auto update on hard installed apps such as fb and twitter, favoring web versions so as to preserve space on my internal memory for other things.

Many apps seem to keep growing and growing despite clearing cache, clearing history, etc. Every so often I wipe them (delete data or uninstall/reinstall) and start over as there doesn't seem to be any other mechanism for shrinking the organic growth on the internal memory for many apps.

Despite 150mb of internal memory, many things cease to function with less than 15-20mb available (ex: automatic mail download) so I must keep my internal memory consumption below 120, in actuality.

This is the only thing I don't like about my phone.

Upvote 0
You could root the phone and uninstall some of the system apps (facebook, twitter...) that should give you some room to work with.

There is a thread for rooting your phone at http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s...a-wildfire-s-s-off-other-great-tutorials.html

I'm gonna throw a few more links at you as well ;)

The folks in our Wildfire S root forums may be able to tell you what other apps can be safely removed once rooted Wildfire S - All Things Root - Android Forums

If you are not ready to root or just don't want to some of our members in the general Wildfire S forums may be able to give you additional tips on how to free up some memory HTC Wildfire S - Android Forums

The growth of Android is to blame for you having to deal with this. When the phone was released it had plenty of internal memory but as android grew so did the size of apk files, since phones do not allow additional memory to be added space runs out quickly on some phones that have been out for a while.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones