• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internal Memory Disappearing - How much do you have?

mslisaj

Android Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2010
Klamath Falls, Oregon
My internal memory has a parasite that is slowly eating it away. I have figured out that when internal memory gets below 16MB it turns on the little warning in the status bar. So, this is how I'm checking my internal memory so everyone that takes their time to respond to me is using the same method. I got to Settings> SD&Phone Storage, at the bottom of the screen that comes up is the "Internal Phone Storage" Available space and mine says 15.84MB. Today I installed a highly rated memory manager from the Market and it didn't help at all. So my first question is How much "internal Phone Storage" do you have left?

Now my second question is when you got to Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> and scroll way down to "Mail - HTC Corporation" and click on that. Now look at the storage. Mine says 15.64 MB Total. Which breaks down there to Application 2.59MB and Data at 13.05MB. Clearly my Mail program is holding the biggest chunk of memory. But I want to know how this compares to everyone else's. If this is true then it would account for the parasitic growth or loss of my memory.

So if I'm way different then this will start a good discussion on what to do about this problem. Just let me say at this point that I delete all email once I have read it. I delete the sent, draft and Trash folders too. I also go into the SD Card and delete everything that is in the .Mail folder too. So if my phone is storing old email now I have to find out where and delete it.........

I so appreciate everyone weighing in on this perplexing problem.

Thanks for your help and comments.........

Lisa :thinking:

My internal memory has a parasite that is slowly eating it away. I have figured out that when internal memory gets below 16MB it turns on the little warning in the status bar. So, this is how I'm checking my internal memory so everyone that takes their time to respond to me is using the same method. I got to Settings> SD&Phone Storage, at the bottom of the screen that comes up is the "Internal Phone Storage" Available space and mine says 15.84MB. Today I installed a highly rated memory manager from the Market and it didn't help at all. So my first question is How much "internal Phone Storage" do you have left?

Now my second question is when you got to Settings> Applications> Manage Applications> and scroll way down to "Mail - HTC Corporation" and click on that. Now look at the storage. Mine says 15.64 MB Total. Which breaks down there to Application 2.59MB and Data at 13.05MB. Clearly my Mail program is holding the biggest chunk of memory. But I want to know how this compares to everyone else's. If this is true then it would account for the parasitic growth or loss of my memory.

So if I'm way different then this will start a good discussion on what to do about this problem. Just let me say at this point that I delete all email once I have read it. I delete the sent, draft and Trash folders too. I also go into the SD Card and delete everything that is in the .Mail folder too. So if my phone is storing old email now I have to find out where and delete it.........

I so appreciate everyone weighing in on this perplexing problem.

Thanks for your help and comments.........

Lisa :thinking:

I don't know what the the problem is but since you are rooted, wipe and reflash Damage. Sorry for no help here:(

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response. I definitely have a problem that I can't fix! Maybe its time for a new phone and something other then a hero and something other than HTC.

Sure you can fix the problem, when you rooted, you put the power in your hands. Don't give up, flash a new rom! Wipe it clean and start with something new, there's plenty of different roms out there, AOSP, sense!!:) Most important, people are here to help if you need it:D

Upvote 0
Hi Randy,

Well I think I lost my root access some how in all this playing. Root explorer and Titanium stopped working. So now I can add that to my list of sudden problems. I think for now I'm going to Nandroid back a month where I had almost 50MB of memory and that will fix the memory problem. I won't update any of my programs and hopefully won't start the memory parasite going again. Then I guess I will have to figure out the root process again and see where that leaves me. The mail program was/is the memory sucker so I will keep an eye on that. But for now I'm defeated with this thing. Just need to band aid it together for now 'till I have the enormous amount of time it took me to root the first time. That was a nerve racking experience for sure. But thanks to a good person from these forums I got through it. But for now all I can do is Nandroid back and hold my breath..............'

Thanks for your help and suggestions.......

Lisa

Upvote 0
I am following through as I alway do to thank you all for your help and tell you how I resolved the problem. I received some great advice from everyone and the last tip, which is usually my luck was the best.

The bottom line someone questioned why I thought I lost root. I explained what was going on and the best and final suggestion was to down load the latest Superuser.apk and flash through "recovery". Yes I had to ask exactly what that meant but I followed the directions and did it. Problem solved. I had SU working on my phone for Root Explorer and Titanium Backup. Then I downloaded Cachecleaner and it worked this time perfectly and it found 25MB of junk on my phone and cleared it out. So now I'm running 40MB of internal memory with all my programs working rather snappy now. In my estimation I screwed up the SU with the memory manager that was recommended somewhere along the line. When it didn't do anything for me I uninstalled it and I think my SU went with it. But the phone is fixed and I want to thank you all for your time in responding to my problem and requests. Sometimes multiple............

Thanks again.....

Lisa :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones