• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal Memory Full - Need Advice

rhodesmk

Lurker
Feb 28, 2011
I am getting internal memory full messages with requests to uninstall programs or delete data. I have painstakingly viewed each and every application on my phone, moving what is allowed to the SD card. According to my settings/sdcard and internal storage screen, I now have the following:
SD Card:
Total space 14.72GB
Available space 11.75GB
System Storage Available Space 49.34MB

My question now is, how do I determine what, exactly, is taking up space in my system storage area? When I connect my phone to the PC via USB and select "Mass Storage" I can't tell which folder that shows up in my Windows Explorer screen is the one I should be looking at.

As far as I know, all pics and music are on my SD card, not the internal memory, but I want to be able to see that internal memory to make sure.

If it helps, I also have a program on my phone called, simply, "Files" which is a file folder icon, and when I open it, allows me to see the various folders on my phone. I can delete files from the program, but I'm not sure I know enough about the directory structure and the OS to know what I can safely delete and what I can't, save for any picture or music files I see.

Any advice?

Oh, yes, I also recently upgraded firmware using Kies Mini. My "about phone" screen now shows the Firmware version as 2.3.6.

Thanks for any advice you may have for me.

This is a common problem on many Android phones, including my LG. Your phone's internal memory is full, while you have plenty of space on the sd card. There's only so much you can do when moving apps to the sd card, because some apps can't be moved, and even when you do move them, if they have associated library files those stay on the phone. It sounds like you've already done every thing reasonable to alleviate the issue. If you are willing to root the phone you'll have many more options to manage that, just keep in mind that rooting voids your warranty.

Upvote 0
I am getting internal memory full messages with requests to uninstall programs or delete data. I have painstakingly viewed each and every application on my phone, moving what is allowed to the SD card. According to my settings/sdcard and internal storage screen, I now have the following:
SD Card:
Total space 14.72GB
Available space 11.75GB
System Storage Available Space 49.34MB

My question now is, how do I determine what, exactly, is taking up space in my system storage area? When I connect my phone to the PC via USB and select "Mass Storage" I can't tell which folder that shows up in my Windows Explorer screen is the one I should be looking at.

As far as I know, all pics and music are on my SD card, not the internal memory, but I want to be able to see that internal memory to make sure.

If it helps, I also have a program on my phone called, simply, "Files" which is a file folder icon, and when I open it, allows me to see the various folders on my phone. I can delete files from the program, but I'm not sure I know enough about the directory structure and the OS to know what I can safely delete and what I can't, save for any picture or music files I see.

Any advice?

Oh, yes, I also recently upgraded firmware using Kies Mini. My "about phone" screen now shows the Firmware version as 2.3.6.

Thanks for any advice you may have for me.

Pics and music, by default (at least mine do) go to Internal.
When I use Astro, pics are in mnt/sdcard/dcim, not mnt/sdcard/ex_sdcard/dcim. That one was empty before I moved everything around.
Same with music download vs. ex_sdcard/musicdownload.
You might be different, and I might be wrong somehow.
But I sure freed up some mb by the time I was done moving things around.
(I have no PC, hence Astro. I get real lost in files and folders, and don't understand partitioning a card. So, I lost some music, some video. But I moved about a gig or so of media to external sd, so I considered this a success all-n-all.
I also learned that camera has an option for destination to external. And something I did makes my music go to the card now as well. So...?)

Upvote 0
So the app's in the play store that is suppose to clear memory, remove unused apps etc etc, doesn't work? If not what's the point of putting that in the app description. I found one called Memory Booster - Ram Optimizer by IMOBILE INC. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...xLDEsImltb2JsaWZlLm1lbW9yeWJvb3N0ZXIubGl0ZSJd

it clearly states that it free up memory, but so many people are saying that it just kill tasks (something that the phone does on it's own) and they restart within a matter of seconds. I was really hoping to find out how to free up some space on my phone. I do not know what's needed, what was left behind after removing an app that I downloading, etc. I guess I'm just hit huh?

Upvote 0
"According to my settings/sdcard and internal storage screen, I now have the following:
SD Card:
Total space 14.72GB
Available space 11.75GB
System Storage Available Space 49.34MB" That's it? is this all the information you get when you go to Settings/Storage? In my phone I see first: Total space xxx; Applications xxxMB; and Available xxxMB, under Device memory.
Under USB storage: Total space xx.xxGB; Applications xxxMB; Pictures, videos xxxMB; etc. Then under SD card: Total space, Available, Unmount SD card, and Format SD card. So it shows the Internal memory divided in two and the SD card.
What phone do you have? or are you using something different than the stock T Mobile ?

Upvote 0
Remove any files from the SDCard you no longer want. Go to Wal-mart, Walgreens, CVS, BestBuy, Office Depot, Office Max, etc & get a 32GB SDCard & 2 SDCard readers you can use to plug the card into your PC. Plug both cards into your PC & Migrate all the data over to your new larger card. Also, get a Class 6 or Class 10 SDCard. Don't get the one thats like 2 dollars cheaper than the others that's Class 1-5.

Upvote 0
Remove any files from the SDCard you no longer want. Go to Wal-mart, Walgreens, CVS, BestBuy, Office Depot, Office Max, etc & get a 32GB SDCard & 2 SDCard readers you can use to plug the card into your PC. Plug both cards into your PC & Migrate all the data over to your new larger card. Also, get a Class 6 or Class 10 SDCard. Don't get the one thats like 2 dollars cheaper than the others that's Class 1-5.
This,

Though if you can stand waiting the shipping time you can get sd cards from
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More! very cheaply.
I just bought 2 32 gb class 10 cards for $27 each.
I have a 16gb I bought months ago I paid $12 to $15 I believe it was.
I would say always get a class 10 card because soon enough class 6 will be very slow, in comparison

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones