• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal memory keeps running low, leak?

TigerSoul

Mar 31, 2010
Android Version: 2.2
Network: telia sweden
Taskiller Used?: nope
[Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom: yes, stock
Issue:

Hi people!

I rooted my desire several months ago but I have no idea if this is the issue. I keep running low on internal memory. So I delete an app or two and things are fine for a few weeks and then I'm low again. This has repeated over and over again and I'm now having to delete things I use daily just to get the damn phone working. It seems as there is a leak or something, or that something is taking up more and more of the space. Any general ideas here? I rooted, but that's the only thing I did. I haven't changed the rom or anything like that and I'd prefer not having to screw around with custom roms and app2sd+ as it seems complicated as hell. I'm pleased where I am, apart from low disk space that keeps lessening as it seems.

EDIT:

I've milked out as much as I can from the app2sd solution (NOT PLUS, just the "move apps to sd by force" method)

I've read taht moving the dalvik cache reduces performance and also trashes your memory card to an early death?

Also I've thought about a2sd+ but it seems like such a work putting in a whole new rom and getting everything back the way it was, not to mention praying that the new rom doesn't have issues.

Upvote 0
I've read taht moving the dalvik cache reduces performance and also trashes your memory card to an early death?

Also I've thought about a2sd+ but it seems like such a work putting in a whole new rom and getting everything back the way it was, not to mention praying that the new rom doesn't have issues.
I have a2sd+ and I have not noticed any performance issues.
It is in fact an excellent solution to the limited internal storage issue on Desire.

If you don't want the hassle of trying the new ROM, you can root and try a2sd
solution. See here: http://androidforums.com/desire-tip...ed-device-noobs-guide-updated-09-02-11-a.html

Upvote 0

I have a2sd+ and I have not noticed any performance issues.
It is in fact an excellent solution to the limited internal storage issue on Desire.

If you don't want the hassle of trying the new ROM, you can try the unrooted a2sd solution. See here: http://androidforums.com/desire-tip...ed-device-noobs-guide-updated-09-02-11-a.html

Upvote 0
Starburst is the one I am looking at, and I do not have that many apps installed at all, not according to me anyway, I use every single one of them so this is unbearable I have to go rom modding.

Does starburst seem like a good option for me? What's important here is stability and fixing this memory issue.

Upvote 0
Starburst is the one I am looking at, and I do not have that many apps installed at all, not according to me anyway, I use every single one of them so this is unbearable I have to go rom modding.

Does starburst seem like a good option for me? What's important here is stability and fixing this memory issue.
I have not tried that one, mainly because I like a pure Gingerbread ROM (Starburst is on Froyo with HTC Sense) and a2sd+ solution is good enough for me (I've got 145 apps on my phone at this moment).

Check your SD card speed before you go with Sarburst - they recommend at least Class 4 card. If you partition your card Fat32 + ext3, then you can easily jump between different custom ROMs (this setup works for Starbust and v2.3 ASOP a2sd+ ROMs).

Upvote 0
I rather take sense than gingerbread and I like to keep things as stable and stock as possible, at least for the time being since memory issues is the only thing that bothers me at the moment. I'm not much for hacking my phone to bits and pieces, I just want it to function. So I think I'll go with starburst and see how it works, I can always restore with nandroid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones