1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support Internal Memory Problem - Should I root?

1. Username90

Username90 New Member

At first I thought I was the only one who had low internal memory despite having few apps, but when I did some research I found out that many others have this problem. Most people say that rooting is the solution.

However, I consider myself a beginner and when I've looked and read tutorials on how to root, it seems extremely confusing and complicated. I don't want to ruin my phone in the process, however I can't carry on like this. Because I can't update anything because I have no internal memory yet I have a 32GB SD card. Like others I have moved all my apps to my SD card and done the standard procedure.

What does everyone else think I should do? I've never rooted before, I don't really know what it is despite reading about it. It's all just very confusing to me and I just want something straight forward.

Thanks f[SIZE=3]or [SIZE=3]reading any advice would be [SIZE=3]appreciated. :) [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Advertisement
  2. kevindroid

kevindroid Well-Known Member

HTC Wildfire S - Android Forums welcome to the forums this link will carry you to your phone section. from reading a while ago this was a problem that was eased by a custom rom and links to sd. hope you enjoy your stay
  3. Username90

Username90 New Member

Thanks for the reply. :) So, do you think I should root? And how easy is it for a beginner?
  4. sven31415

sven31415 New Member

I rooted the Wildfire S from my girlfriend yesterday.
    I am not a smartphone guy but i could manage.

Basic procedure is described in this forum.

Summary is:
    You have to unlock the bootloader through a procedure from HTC
    Then you have to flash a custom recovery software (clockworkmod)
    This custom recovery software is accesible by the recovery menu entry in the bootloader.
    Then this recovery SW will aquire root access by using a root.zip script.
    You install Super user app from the market.
    You install link2sd from the market.
    You take out the SD card and put it into a card reader.
    You put the card reader into your windows pc.
    You take a partitioning program to make the existing fat32 partition smaller and create a new ext2 partition on the SD.
    You put your SD card back into your phone.
    Now link2sd can use the partition to link all user apps onto the SD (don't use normal app2sd now!!).

Now she has her major apps and updates installed and still 114 MB internal memory free with the original HTC ROMS.

This is just a very rough summary of the process to give you an overview. You have to check out the detailed description in this forum.
    Check out this post for details:
    http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s-finally.html
    Check out this post on how to set up the SD card for link2sd
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1432459

Good luck.

PS: It took me some hours to follow all the instructions and read all the stuff.
    PPS: You don't know what rooting is ? It is gaining administrator rights on your phone. Like the admin rights on your windows PC.
    skykid2 likes this.
  5. Asmaul001

Asmaul001 Member

Its upto you lol.

If you root your device, you can solve your internal memory problem through Link2SD app.

But if you dont wanna root , have a look at this thread, it will tell you how to install apps to sd card without root : http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=469775
  6. Username90

Username90 New Member

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I'm definitely not an expert on rooting. But when you root your phone you do 'flash your ROM'. Now what that means I don't know.

I contacted HTC about this problem, they collected my phone and they 'flashed my ROM' because there was a system failure. So now my phone is working much better than before.

So anyone who's experiencing this problem. Contact HTC. You have 2 years warren[SIZE=4]ty [SIZE=4]and i[SIZE=4]f you have or[SIZE=4]iginal [SIZE=4]receipt[/SIZE] you have more.

[SIZE=4]So that's my advice to everyone reading this thread. Contact HTC. If anyone has any questions, don't hesi[SIZE=4]tate to [SIZE=4]contact me. [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  7. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

Really HTC will fix the internal memory issue.

I dont use this phone know but im still going to root it just to fix the issue and i want to practice rooting before rooting my S3
  8. Caro332

Caro332 Well-Known Member

9. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member

Definitely root is the way to go. I've rooted mine, and have 50+ apps on the SD card Some via Andoid's native 'Move to SD' and the majority via LinkToSD. I generally have 65-70Mb free, and clear out app's temp data regularly.
  10. Bytheseaside

Bytheseaside Member

Is this phone memory full problem a feature of mobile phones in general, or just HTC, or even just HTC Widlfire S?
  11. Davdi

Davdi Well-Known Member

It is a problem with the Wildfire S, and probably with other phones which have limited memory.
  12. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned rooting the WFS and using Link2SD is a must because of its limited memory. To sum up ...

YES!!! ;):D
  13. Caro332

Caro332 Well-Known Member

Yes please do, your life will become much easier