• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal memory widget not right?

Unfortunately, it is apparently right ...

Try installing the free app "Quick System Info pro" (pro is ad-supported, free minimal but ad-less) ... you will see the breakdown of the onboard not-SD storage:
152MB of "internal storage" ... app installation ... "C:\Program Files" "C:\docs+setings"
178M of "system storage" ... for the OS and upgrades ... "C:\Windows"
128M of "system cache" ... presumably for browser-cache, etc ... "C:\Temp"
175MB of "Memory" ... execution-space ... what PCs call RAM
(you have 4, I have 16)GB of SD-card space "c:\downloads" "c:\music" "c:data" etc

You have a hypothetical PC that is mission-critical but has minimal specifications ...
You have randomized users, and assumed to be worst-case scenario (teenagers)
Imagine that you have a hypothetical hard-drive of whatever (painfully small) size ...
Imagine that your OS can be installed 2 ways:
1: the entire drive is one monolithic storage-space
* everything can write to everything else's directories
* if one application is stupid, you can fill the drive so that it can't boot (or call)
* user space is maximized, but so is vulnerability to being crippled
2: you can create "partitions" in your storage-drive
* applications are prevented from writing to the OS partition
* only things in the OS partition can write to the OS partition
* mission critical things (booting, making/receiving calls) are in the OS area
* users can fill their area(s) and still not kill mission-critical operations
* security over OS operations can be maintained
* user space is less by how much you have left blank for OS upgrades / cache

Microsoft chose option 1
Unix and Linux chose option 2 (Android is Linux)

And because Flash-RAM is rather expensive right now, LG close to try to achieve their lower-price-point-Android-system by reducing there.
My Wife's MotoDroid has internal=262, system=140, cache=92, exec-RAM=225

Ally total = 633, MotoDroid total = 719 (i.e. adjacent to 640 and 720, which are "round numbers" for memory ... although 720 is not the usual number, 768 is ... perhaps they are allocating in different memory-module sizes than I'm used to or something did not get reported (recovery-space?))

My complaint is that the cache space on my Ally is at 125 or 128 Free ... the cache partition is apparently _way_ too big, probably optimized to allow you to re-watch that youtube video you just saw without re-downloading it and re-straining VZW's bandwidth.

BTW: the people who do rooting and put different system layouts do i fact change these partition sizes (at the cost of a total wipe of the onboard drive space ... and if it ever interrupted, it is like you just formatted your hard-drive and cut power 1 minute into your next windows wipe+upgrade)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones