• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

gadgetmom88

Sep 23, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm new to Android so forgive my ignorance, but I've read that one of the shortcomings of Android phones to date is that the only way to load applications onto the phone is to use the phone's internal memory (of which there is very little). Is this addressed in the Droid? I'm coming from the iPhone platform and am spoiled by 16Gigs of space for music, movies, and lots and lots of apps. I've been waiting for a good piece of hardware to make the jump over to Verizon and very excited to finally make the switch to a network that won't drop 50% of my phone calls.

The apps themselves run only from internal memory, but the Droid comes with a 16 gig SD card for storing your music and movies. The apps themselves typically range somewhere between 20K and 500K stored on internal memory, and they can also use the SD card for storing any large files, so it shouldn't be a problem to store hundreds of apps on the Droid.

Upvote 0
The apps themselves run only from internal memory, but the Droid comes with a 16 gig SD card for storing your music and movies. The apps themselves typically range somewhere between 20K and 500K stored on internal memory, and they can also use the SD card for storing any large files, so it shouldn't be a problem to store hundreds of apps on the Droid.

I don't agree that this isn't a problem. Coming from the iPhone, it seems like a big problem to me. Some of my apps are more than 100MB each - especially the games. I'm not making the switch for a gaming device, but it certainly hinders the development of the platform if it can't move in that direction along with the utilitarian apps that are much smaller. Even so, I couldn't hold all of the non-game apps that I keep on my iPhone on the Droid. This is a disappointment, but won't stop me from getting the phone.

Upvote 0
The thing is that games on Android in the market aren't anywhere near as large as on the iPhone. I had about 45 Apps on my G1 before it got full, now with Apps2SD I have no limit basically. Unless Android 2.0 allows Apps2SD the you will only have 512MB to work with but that will be plenty for what is on the market. If really large files become available then Google would have to make changes to allow Apps to be stored on the SD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones