• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal Memory

havextree

Lurker
Dec 3, 2011
I put everything I could into my SD card which has plenty of room but my internal memory is always on the brink of being full. What caches or files can I delete? I've looked through the whole phone several times and can't figure out what is taking so much room. Any tips to open up more space without rooting my phone?

Uninstall gmail, maps, gtalk, search, n download them from the market. This puts them in data/app instead of system/app. All those apps have been updated so theres a apk in both places. You can also use titnaium back up n merge the system updates.

Uninstall the browser n download dolphin hd. Its a better browser n can be pushed to sd.

Uninstall the gallery n download quickpic. Again its better n get push to sd.

Download launcher pro then uninstall the stock launcher. Launcher pro can be pushed to sd also.

Remove all the bloat in system/app following the guide posted here.

I'm sure I'm missing more but its a start.

Reactions: Cisco52903
Upvote 0
how "space" works, ill try to explain it best as possible.

you have a windows computer with a bunch of hard drives in it, lets say 160gb is your c:\ drive. 160gb is your spare drive. well you think to yourself lemme free up some space on my c:\ drive by installing all of my programs on the spare drive (d:\) as well as all my settings so that way just windows is on c:\.... (this is how android is set up, the "OS" is on /system and you cant touch it without root. while everything you add/install/download/etc, all goes to your /data partition)

so now you have all those programs on d:\ you keep downloading and installing apps... but youve got 160GB's so all is cool right? well as it turns out windows update... decided that your c:\ drive was a little full so all updates now go to your d:\ drive. so now you have your settings, programs and updates all on d:\ (which is where the market installs apps).

yet get a warning "whoa dude youve got low memory, cant install anymore programs!!!" so what do you do? you go to c:\ and think well hell i never use internet explorer... ill get rid of that, so now you freed up a bunch of space right?

nope. sorry you got some space on c:\ but that isnt where you are installing things... so it doenst even matter really.

the biggest issue you guys have is the google apps... like maps which is a fairly large program, and gets updates quite a bit you actually have two copies of it. one in /data/app (where market installs apps) and in /system/app (what came preinstalled on the phone) now you dont get to see how much space is available in /system/app so its just a guessing game.. if you really wanna free up some space, then get the latest apps and put them in /system/app replacing the older ones. (which is why any updates you guys get will "free up space" cuz they update the version preinstalled so it doesnt have to be on your data partition taking up your space.)

this is also why.. when you root putting su and superuser.apk on your c:\ drive doing a factory reset, doesnt change that... as imagine a factory reset formatting your d:\ drive.. it will clear out all your personal stuff, but leaves the os intact

Reactions: jmurf and kb0sdq
Upvote 0
Uninstall gmail, maps, gtalk, search, n download them from the market. This puts them in data/app instead of system/app. All those apps have been updated so theres a apk in both places. You can also use titnaium back up n merge the system updates.

Uninstall the browser n download dolphin hd. Its a better browser n can be pushed to sd.

Uninstall the gallery n download quickpic. Again its better n get push to sd.

Download launcher pro then uninstall the stock launcher. Launcher pro can be pushed to sd also.

Remove all the bloat in system/app following the guide posted here.

I'm sure I'm missing more but its a start.

I uninstalled GMAIL and then downloaded it from the market. Now i cannot enter Gmail it gives an error every time. I have tried to leave it on the phone memory & sdcard and neither work. What gives? Help someone ?

ivww37.png

Upvote 0
Clear cache n data on all google applications

did it already prior to posting .. restarted phone and did again.. killed all tasks , cachemate for root users did over n over .. still same error message .. it cannot access the app not 1 time since deleting and downloading from market .. on phone memory or sdcard .. can someone else do this and report back what happens .. ..

Upvote 0
@Atrain

I had the same problem you had once removing google search, and gmail

hell i even used Titanium Backup to merge an update that my market had....

long and short of it was my gmail and market stopped working and force closed all the time...

what i enedup doing was I downloaded the apps to my phone again.... either through an apk site or the market... and then I installed them but didn't open them...

Went into Titanium Backup and found the app (eg gmail) highlighted it and selected make sys app... the phone did it's thing and rebooted and after it does you can run your app again...

although you lose the space you gained so idk exactly.... but this also worked for my market as well so.....

Upvote 0
@Atrain

I had the same problem you had once removing google search, and gmail

hell i even used Titanium Backup to merge an update that my market had....

long and short of it was my gmail and market stopped working and force closed all the time...

what i enedup doing was I downloaded the apps to my phone again.... either through an apk site or the market... and then I installed them but didn't open them...

Went into Titanium Backup and found the app (eg gmail) highlighted it and selected make sys app... the phone did it's thing and rebooted and after it does you can run your app again...

although you lose the space you gained so idk exactly.... but this also worked for my market as well so.....

Thanks for the help. Sounds like it would solve the issue but now i realize that is one option i cannot do with titanium backup because i have the free version .. ehh .. any other ways to make something a system app outside of using this program?

Upvote 0
k i can understand certain things, but how do i get rid of things i dont use like google pinyin or however you spell it.
Also i cant move my google apps to sd card and when i go to market it says installed.
The reason i posted here is because i needed to update a game i am playing had enough room to d/l but not enough to install and game is on sd but d/l to phone is there a way to tell it to install to sd card.

Samsung Admire is what i have

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones