Internal SD vs. External SD vs. Internal Storage

Last Updated: 2010-07-29 02:34:47
  1. smbyers

smbyers Member

When I look at the settings and "SD card and phone storage" option I see the different types of storage. Based on what I see, please verify the following assumptions are correct...

1. The external SD card is obviously the one I added. I assume it can be used to store media files (via USB, direct write on a PC, etc.). I read until Froyo we won't be able to install apps on this card.
    2. The internal SD card is what is built into the phone for apps and other things those apps write to the phone. Looks like Google Listen writes to this area (can't make it write to the external SD and not sure why). It appears that the only things writing to there are my camera and of course any music, pics, or videos I load on there directly. Nothing else seems to make use of it.
    3. The internal phone storage is for things like the OS and is pretty much off limits.
    When I go into the "My Files" app on the phone it dumps me into the home directory which happens to be /sdcard. I assume this is the internal SD card? under that directory it also has "/sd" which appears to be my external SD card. Why would they make it look like "/sd" is a subdirectory of "/sdcard" when it's not? Confusing.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

..because it becomes part of the system. So it's like a 'secondary' to the internal SD card. Yes, it is confusing. LOL.
  3. mesasone

mesasone Well-Known Member

A little bit of a thread jack here, but when they say it's an internal SD card... is it REALLY an internal SD card - as in possible to replace. Could you replace it with a Class 10 for better performance, or perhaps even a card with 32 GeeBees (for 64 gigs of storage :eek:)