Internal Storage and Cache2Cache

Last Updated:

1. RunamuckRez

RunamuckRez Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey folks, cross posted from another thread that didn't get a response, but I'm really curious so I'm posting a new thread to see what everyones thoughts are..the original post follows.

Hey Gents,

I flashed xtrRom 4.6 yesterday from 4.2 4.2 was working really well, but for some reason I started getting issue's where I couldn't access my calendar and my sync. I would get FC whenever I opened one or the other. After reading how Titanium Backup can cause weird issues when you save system apps + data, I did the full wipe/factory reset/davlink wipe and just backed up user apps + data. Flashed the ROM, set everything up, ran TB and restored the user apps + data, presumably to the Cache. With 25 user apps give or take, I'm showing on internal phone storage 69 -71 mb worth of space. Does this seem correct? I was under the impression that with Cache2Cache enabled, the internal phone storage wouldn't be used. I did run Apps and Cache to internal just to see how much memory would be left and it was significantly less, but I figured I would have alot more space still open with Cache2Cache in effect. Any thoughts on this? I am also running Launcher Pro plus, and the weather + Toggle widget. I did free up some space by deleting all the skins.

Rez

Advertisement
  2. jeffgman

jeffgman Well-Known Member

Cache2Cache means the Dalvik cache will be stored in the cache partition instead of the data partition. Your phone has three partitions, system, data, and cache. The default setup was to put the Dalvik cache in the data partition leaving the cache partition pretty much empty. Zach found a way to move the Dalvik cache from the data partition to the cache partition freeing up space in the data partition for more apps and data. I think originally these phones would end up with about 90 megs of free space in data upon first boot. By moving the Dalvik cache to the cache partition I think most phones end up with about 150 megs in the data partition upon first boot. I am currently sitting about about 100 megs free in the data partition on xtrSENSE using cache2cache. I don't know off hand how many apps I have.

Jeff

mflane likes this.
  3. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

dumb question (which i'll be googling) but figured i'd start it here,

is cache2cache an XTR rom deal? or can this be ported to a 2.2 or Cyanogen rom?

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

I think this method has been used on several different ROMs (and phones)...pretty cool idea.

Some links (Google search of "site:forum.xda-developers.com relocate dalvik-cache"):

[Q] Move data/dalvik-cache to dev/dalvik-cache - xda-developers
    Relocating dalvik-cache to /cache on G1 without problems? - xda-developers
    How to move dalvik cache back to internal storage!! - xda-developers

Also, re. Froyo: Relocate dalvik-cache on Froyo? - xda-developers

Cheers!

5. RunamuckRez

RunamuckRez Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think something got screwed in the flashing of the current rom. Probably with Titanium back up. I've change the davlink cache, and some other things and I'm still only showing 66 mg free on internal. If I'm understanding your post correctly I should have much more space available. I'm also burning through my battery like nothing, and seem to be having a lower signal then normal. I keep flickering in and out of 3g to 1g and 3g speed seems down, and my signal strength is in the upper 80's low 90's.

Rez