• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal storage is Low?? I don't think so

big_hoovie

Feb 1, 2013
I've had my HTC EVO V 4g for about a month now, and everything has been working great. Last night, my phone restarted on its own, and since then has been giving me the 'Internal storage is Low' warning. As far as I can tell, this warning is incorrect, as I have 573MB available, as reported by the default storage reporting service on the phone. Besides a factory reset, what can I do to get rid of this warning?

Phone is stock.

that isnt a huge amount of space id try delete music of something get yourself like 1GB free and see if that solves it remember also the more you have saved the slower your phone will run.

If I were to delete things to bring internal storage to 1GB, I would have to delete EVERYTHING. Brand new, there is only 1.1GB storage for apps.

All of my music, videos and pictures are stored on my SD card.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Upvote 0
I would clean caches and things like that to free up space, it can add up. There are a bunch of apps that do that. I use "App 2 SD," because I use it to look at apps installed on phone/SD card too, but it also clears app cache. In addition to that, you can also go into Settings > Storage > Make more space >Temporary files from HTC Apps. I'd be careful about what else you clear in that menu, you don't want to mistakenly delete your music or pictures, or what have you.

I don't know why you're getting that warning anyway. I currently have about 180 apps installed and have less space than you, but I don't get any warning.

Upvote 0
I would clean caches and things like that to free up space, it can add up. There are a bunch of apps that do that. I use "App 2 SD," because I use it to look at apps installed on phone/SD card too, but it also clears app cache. In addition to that, you can also go into Settings > Storage > Make more space >Temporary files from HTC Apps. I'd be careful about what else you clear in that menu, you don't want to mistakenly delete your music or pictures, or what have you.

I don't know why you're getting that warning anyway. I currently have about 180 apps installed and have less space than you, but I don't get any warning.

I second the be careful warning, I wasn't really paying attention and deleted all the music off my sd card with that menu, wasn't a big deal at the time as I only had a few songs but I would be severely annoyed now

Upvote 0
Hmm...perhaps there's something else going on with my phone, other than space. I sent off a message to VM about the issue...hopefully they get back to me with something more useful than a stock message.

thank you all for the suggestions. I will certainly be careful about not deleting my music or other data accidentally.

Upvote 0
VM got back to me today via email. Here's the response. I will be following suggestions as I can, and will report back if I have any positive change.

Thanks for contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care.

We are sorry to know that you have issues with your handset.

When a device has low memory and displays this error message, it won't
perform normal functions. The device may also exhibit slow, sluggish
behavior or device freezing. Tell the customer:

1. The error is displayed because they do not have enough available
memory on the device.
2. Android devices work best when they have enough available memory.

Common tasks that fail when the device has low memory include:

Adding a contact.
Sending a text or picture message.
Adding an e-mail account.
Launching, upgrading, downloading and installing apps.

In order to fix the issue, you need to check the handset memory. Please
follow the steps below;

1. Remove and reinstall the battery. The device should restart
automatically. If not, power the device on.

NOTE: Soft resetting the device may clear some cache and temporarily
resolve the Memory is Full issue; however, additional troubleshooting
and customer education is still necessary.

2. Select Menu from the handset home page.
3. Select Settings.
4. Select SD Card and Phone Storage.
5. Ask the customer to read the amount of Available Space.

If issue persists, you will need to move apps to the memory card. Please
follow the steps listed below;

1.Select Menu from the handset home page

2. Select Settings
3. Select Applications
4. Select Manage Applications
5. Select the Downloaded tab

6. Select Menu then Sort by Size. Apps are sorted from largest to
smallest.
7. Select the desired app.

NOTE: Moving larger apps will free the most handset memory.

8. Select Move to SD card

NOTE: If Move to SD card option is grayed out, the app cannot be moved
to the SD card.

9. Select the Back button and repeat the step for each desired app.

If issue persists, you will need to clear application cache. Please
follow the steps given below;

1. Select Menu from the handset home page
2. Select Settings
3. Select Applications
5. Select the All tab

6. Select Menu then Sort by Size. Apps are sorted from largest to
smallest.
7. Select the first app in the list.

8. Cache being stored displays. Select Clear Cache.

NOTE: Do not click "Clear data." This will only clear the login name and
password.

9. The cache now shows 0.00B and the Clear cache option is grayed out.

10. Select the Back button and repeat the step for each desired app.
11. Advise that regularly clearing the app cache and power cycling the
device on a regular basis will improve device performance and clear up
memory.

If issue persists, you will need to uninstall applications. Follow the
steps provided below;

1. Select Menu from the handset home page
2. Select Settings
3. Select Applications
5. Select the Download tab
6. Select the app to uninstall
7. Select Force Stop if it is not grayed out. If Force Stop is grayed
out, continue to the next step.
8. Select Uninstall
9. Select OK
10. A confirmation message appears. Select OK.
11. Repeat the steps to uninstall additional downloaded apps.

You are a valued Virgin Mobile customer and we do appreciate your
business.

If you need additional assistance, feel free to let us know how we can
assist further or contact us at 1-888-322-1122 (or *86 from your
handset). You can reach us 4am - 9pm PST seven days a week. As a
reminder, please include your Virgin Mobile phone number and PIN on all
replies.

Thanks,

Manuel M.
Virgin Mobile At Your Service
Prepaid Unlimited Cell Phone Plans | Android | Smartphone | Broadband | Virgin Mobile

Upvote 0
Well, I followed the steps outlined in the VM email listed above, bringing my available space up to 623MB(of 1.11GB total). I still have the low storage warning. This HAS to be wrong, as I've had more stuff on my phone, and no warning in the past. I'll be calling them in the next day or two in the hopes they can help me get this resolved. If I do get this sorted out, I will try to detail the steps taken in the hope that it may help someone else

Upvote 0
I've been having the same issue on and off lately. Stock ROM, although I am rooted.

Right now I've got 245MB internal free after deleting some unused apps. Before I was probably around 160-ish free. And when trying to update even smallish apps, it would at times tell me I was out of room.

Sometimes just retrying the update a few times or rebooting the phone would fix the issue.

It's quite strange.

Upvote 0
How many contacts do you have in your contact list?

Not sure if it is still around, but there used to be an issue that Android would assign a certain amount of space to contacts and start giving memory errors when you start getting too many. It led to the same symptoms, memory errors even though the phone shows plenty of free space.

Upvote 0
Try downloading Android System Info. It will display the % of available RAM. If below 50% Android phones will run slugish. If below 40% will start to develop minor system glitches, etc., etc.
I use Fast Reboot which shuts down all apps and restarts just those that need to be running. This free's up 15-20% more RAM. Cleaning all cache including download history and internet cache will help as well. Facebook and browsers are the worst cache horders.
I

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones