Internal Storage Space: A Rant

1. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

The internal storage space on my N1 is starting to become a real big issue. I am now down to 18 MB worth of space and keep gettin the "Low on Space" notification. Besides not being about to download a lot of apps that don't have app2sd enable it is effect the phone's ability to receive text messages which is the big problem. I get the "text message memory full" notification way too often. I have already deleted apps that I used a lot and most of the internal storage is given to the google apps that I don't use. Why is my text message memory full when I have 18mb left??

I know everyone is going to tell me that rooting is the answer and I was alright with doing it when the one-click method was avaliable but since I can't do that I am not brave enough to try the other methods.

/end rant.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Mostly Harmless likes this.
  3. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Ive been experiencing this too myself lately. Im regularly at 20mb consistently. Things are looking more positive for the Atrix at the moment.
  4. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

Yep - app storage is a big driver for me to upgrade as well.
    I'm sick of being a cache fascist :rolleyes:
  5. batman25

batman25 Well-Known Member

broswer cache is pretty much killing my space. it is getting really old though. Im waiting for the next HTC with vanilla and it's bye bye N1.
  6. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Why not use Apps2Ext if it's annoying you?
  7. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

How dare you suggest that Rusty!

Far too simple a solution! :D
  8. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I keep myself hovering between 20 and 30 mb all the time. Currently at 30 with 163 apps installed (mind you I also force apps to sd) but whenever I get short on space I look through my apps and find some I haven't used in weeks. Do I back those up and uninstall.
    This method works fine for me at the moment but it could be a lot easier so I'm planning on an ext partition as soon as amazon will let me buy my new sd card :p
    But of course all this hassle wouldn't be needed if we had more internal storage.
    But it's still no reason for me to buy a new phone. But I will need a damn good reason to get rid of mine :p
  9. ironass

If you are rooted, and have Titanium Back-up installed, just click on Titanium Back-up > Backup/Restore > select an app and long press and hold (2 sec's) and a menu entitled Android Optimizer pops up that offers you the choice of "Move to SD card" and, if it's possible, "Integrate update into ROM".

I currently have 86 app's installed from the Market with 108MB free on internal memory using this system.

One word of caution is that it's a good idea to keep app's with widgets on your home screen and your current live wallpaper as well as any monitoring app's on your internal memory as connecting your phone via USB will stop them working when the card is unmounted.

Another thing that frees up internal memory for me is K-9 email which has the option to save to SD card.

Hope this helps. :D
  10. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Screw that, it'll take forever... the same options exist in the batch menu. Then move widgets etc back to internal storage.
  11. ironass

:D:D:D

you could do it Rusty's way which wouldn't allow you to see if an individual app could be integrated into ROM.
  12. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

You don't need to check for that, there is an integrate into ROM batch :p
  13. ironass

Touche Rusty! ;)
  14. eric1589

eric1589 Active Member

have you tried deleting your text messages?
    if its saying that is full and you have 18 mbs left, maybe only so much space is alotted for text messages and you have like 4,000 stored on your phone.
  15. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

I just checked, I have over 4000 texts and still no issues here :)
  16. Mostly Harmless

I don't keep nearly that many messages, I usually clear them out daily.
  17. DarkenedRealit

DarkenedRealit New Member

18. Mostly Harmless

19. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

It will allow 98% of apps to be moved to the SD card, regardless of dev flag. There are still the odd few that can't be moved though.

It also changes the default install location (0 = auto, 1 = internal (use this for Apps2Ext), 2 = SD card).
  20. Mostly Harmless

Alright so I tried following the directions in the link and got up to step 5. I am in the Command Prompt Window and I am under the following

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools>

The next command I type as per the instructions is the following:

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices

Instead of getting a serial number I get "adb" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?
  21. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

Do you have adb.exe in that folder?
  22. Mostly Harmless

No it's in the folder labeled platform-tools
  23. Mostly Harmless

Ok got it to work, thanks guys, quick question, should I send adobe flash to SD or leave it on the phone?
  24. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

I have it on the SD
  25. DarkenedRealit

DarkenedRealit New Member

Basic rule of thumb is to only keep apps that have widgets (that you use) and apps that you may need immediately at boot (e.g. Sipdroid) on the phone, everything else can go on SD card :).

Cheers,

DR