• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internal Storage Space Doesn't Add Up...

Sorry I can't post a screenshot because my computer is broken, but here is the breakdown when i go to Storage in Settings:

Applications: 5.14gb
Pictures, Videos: 10.2mb
Audio: 456kb
Downloads: 13.18mb
Cached Data: 12kb
Misc. Files: 6.96gb
Free Storage: 599mb

If you add all that up, it's less than 13gb! Where is the extra 3gb? I tried changing google music settings, clear system cache, and even downloaded SD Maid, but to still no avail I am running out of storage. Please help.

Check out "Storage Truth"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sa.storagetruth

That will show you the allocation for /system partition that's not reported by most user tools.

If that's unsatisfactory, get Terminal Emulator and say -

df

You'll probably want to turn it to landscape for better readability.

Your device contains a number of partitions reserved for various hardware functions like radio firmware. Those won't show up on normal outputs either.

If you want to see the number of partitions and size for each, in Terminal Emulator say -

cat /proc/partitions

Size are in 1024 byte blocks.

Upvote 0
That's advertising for you. They say 16 which is true but there's only 13 available for actual use.
No one complains when they buy a PC and lose drive space to formatting and then lose some more to Windows.

Pick up your phone, turn it on, make a call, get an OTA update - you just used the firmware that's "missing."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones