Internal storage space managementTips

1. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

Until Froyo arrives this is an ongoing issue for those of us who have not rooted. I thought it would be useful to have a thread collating tips for managing the space effectively.

The phone has 147mb of space available when new. The cut off point for the low space warning in the notification bar is 14mb.

When the low space warning shows then you can't install any new apps or update any existing ones. You also can't send any texts.

Here are some tips I have posted for managing space efficiently:

1. Use Astro file manager to back up apps to sd card. You can then uninstall some of the larger apps such as games which are not played frequently. Then if you want to use that app again you can reinstall direct from the sd card in a matter of seconds (even if you have a low space warning).

2. Regularly clear cache by going into menu / settings / applications / manage applications / menu / sort by size. Click on the largest ones such as maps and internet and see if there is any cache which can be cleared.

3. Check email settings. Email will take up much more space if you have it set to download the last two weeks rather than just the last couple of days. You can also set limits on file sizes and number of emails to download.

4. Check settings for any RSS and news feeds you may have. Try and set them to limit the number of items and to automatically clear themselves after a couple of days.

5. Regularly reboot the phone. Sometimes if you uninstall something or clear cache the free space does not appear straight away and only shows up when you reboot the phone.

6. Mini Info is a good widget for monitoring the free space available

I've noticed quite a few posts saying that Facebook and Contacts are taking up large amounts of space. This is not an issue I've had personally as I don't use Facebook. If anyone has any tips or comments on how to manage this effectively then please add them.

Advertisement
    :
    adam_hilluk and tomthetank like this.
  2. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

I've also just realised that the HTC Sync for Calender/Twitter/Weather/etc does not work while the low space warning is present.
  3. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

nice, well done

also worth mentioning,

in the settings for messages (texts), set the text message limit to 50 or less per conversation.

in the email account settings (do it for each account) set the mail size limit to about 25kb or less to limit the ammount of data used by each email, you will get a button on the email to download any remaining data (should you want to)
    snowmobile likes this.
  4. vey6whpgybtg

vey6whpgybtg Member

I got the "phone storage space is getting low" notification. Now I can't seem to install new apps. This sucks.

If I use Astro to backup app, then uninstall, then install later via Astro, will the Market then realize I had the app before and still give me notifications for Updates for that app I re-installed?

This really sucks. I think in 2.2 the ability to store apps on sdcard will be very important if these phone manufacturers don't put more default RAM onboard the phones. After all these are smartphones, and we need space to put apps to use the phones brains for maximum utility.
  5. seanxwong

seanxwong Well-Known Member

I have 122mb remaining, not too bad for other apps. just counted I have a total of 5 apps installed by myself.
  6. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member

Great tips from Snowmobile. 2 things I've noticed with FroYo - 1 - still lots of apps can't be transferred to the SD card and 2 - the Internet browser doesn't cache much data as in 2.1, in fact it barely seems to take up any memory space with it's cache.

Steve.
  7. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Get Dolphin Browser HD, you can save the cache to the SD card :D