internal storage

Last Updated:

1. t2tl

t2tl Member This Topic's Starter

My internal storage is currently 337 MB. I was planning on buying a bigger SD card, either 16GB or 32GB. I'm very new to everything with Androids and have never been big with computers. I read that if I want a lot of applications and everything that I would have to root the phone because the internal storage is so limited and then move everything to the SD card. I tried rooting the phone, it didn't work (I didn't mess up anything with the phone, probably just missed a step), but considering I still know so little about all this I decided it would be better to wait with rooting. Will I be fine with not rooting my phone and picking up a bigger SD card or will my phone run very slow once I start installing a lot of stuff?

Advertisement
  2. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

A few things.... I had a third of that space available on my Hero when first got that and I got down to about 20 mb free with about 65 apps installed. Using that as a guide I will be able to fit about. 195 apps on my phone (plus or minus depending on the apps). Are you ever going to have 195 apps installed on the phone... Highly doubtful. Having said that the next version of Android, Froyo, 2.2 will allow for installing apps on the SD card. Just keep all your music and pictures on your sd card for now.

t2tl likes this.
  3. t2tl

t2tl Member This Topic's Starter

Awesome that's what I was looking for. Probably shouldn't be asking a root related question here, but if I don't need to tether and transferring stuff to my SD card to help the phone run smoother is my main concern is it pointless to root? I know very little about the Android phone right now anyway, so I should be fine being not being rooted right?

4. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

I mean again ghat is up to you. I haven't rooted. I am waiting for 2.2 and then maybe. I did root my Hero to install custom ROMs and had a good time with that. Experiment and have fun. Just get a good back up program for your apps and sync all your contacts with Google or your PC and don't be afraid of hard resets

t2tl likes this.