• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internal Storage?

badankles

Android Expert
Jul 19, 2010
USA
okay, so i have not installed anything, not even an OTA update (except PRL update) and this is what it says for SD card and Internal Storage space. it comes with 1GB internal storage, so the base OS and TouchWiz used over half of the internal storage already along with over 1GB of the sd card?

sd card total space: 14.73GB
sd card available space: 14.73GB
internal storage available space: 465MB

yikes!!!!

I believe on an interview with a Sprint rep about this phone, the internal storage was brought up and the Sprint rep said it was some sort of glitch and the phone does have 1GB

Probably something similar to how the HTC Hero never displayed the proper "RevA" under settings. Mine has stated RevO the entire time I've owned it, even though it's obviously getting RevA speeds.

Upvote 0

yikes!!!!

Well since the marketing gurus say that 1000MB is one GB, 1000KB is one MB and 1000B is 1KB, and in all actuallity, it is really 1024 not 1000 in each of those conversions you have:

16000000/1024/1024 = 15.26 actual GB free and that is before any preloaded music, formatting, games, reserved space for the OS, etc. is taken away.

Upvote 0
... it comes with 1GB internal storage, so the base OS and TouchWiz used over half of the internal storage already along with over 1GB of the sd card?

yikes!!!!

Nope. None of your SD card is used at all. Total space = 14.73GB, available space = 14.73GB. Total=Available... so none is used.

You didn't really think that a raw "16GB" card would actually show up as "16.0GB", did you? Even before formatting, the way that GB is counted (the old 1024 vs 1000 thing, to the 3rd power : KB, MB, GB) means you start with 15.25GB. Then the OS formatting takes another half GB, and you're left with the number you got. You're in good shape, really. :)

Upvote 0
Nope. None of your SD card is used at all. Total space = 14.73GB, available space = 14.73GB. Total=Available... so none is used.

You didn't really think that a raw "16GB" card would actually show up as "16.0GB", did you? Even before formatting, the way that GB is counted (the old 1024 vs 1000 thing, to the 3rd power : KB, MB, GB) means you start with 15.25GB. Then the OS formatting takes another half GB, and you're left with the number you got. You're in good shape, really. :)

uhm OP was more concerned with internal storage, not the sd card i think

okay, so i have not installed anything, not even an OTA update (except PRL update) and this is what it says for SD card and Internal Storage space. it comes with 1GB internal storage, so the base OS and TouchWiz used over half of the internal storage already along with over 1GB of the sd card?

yikes!!!!

yes that's most likely correct. for now apps will eat away at that 465mb. when 2.2 comes you'll be able to put about half of what you download onto the sd card. a lot of apps are getting updated so they're able to go onto the sd card so it's probably more than i'm thinking now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones