[International] 4.4 KitKat and root questions

Last Updated:

1. livinwinin

livinwinin Member

I'm fairly new to my s4 and this will be the first update that will come out while my Galaxy S4 i-9500 is rooted. I'm very happy with my root and I was wondering what will happen when 4.4 comes out. I can keep my root and stay with 4.3, but 4.4 has quite a few improvements. I assume updating will remove root access, so is there some kind of way to keep root access and all the mods and root apps I have downloaded. If not will there be a 4.4 root?

2. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forums . now if your rooted already and running a rom or custom rom you wont receive any updates . now if u accepted the update you can't go back but will say watch out cause if your rooted And this update come through you may can reroot and maybe not without some minor changes of things.
  3. livinwinin

livinwinin Member

Im running stock 4.3 on my s4, I just use Xposed for mods and such. So when the update is released, will there be a root ready? And will the process be as easy as backing up with Titanium Backup and restoring when on 4.4? Help would be appreciated!
    BRAINZ2013 likes this.
  4. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

That's up to the dev
  5. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

If you flash a stock Samsung firmware for 4.4.2, KitKat, it will indeed, unroot you. See #2.13 of the Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide. As we have seen on the i9505 with the leaked Samsung KitKat firmwares, it is better to stay rooted as there will be rooted stock KitKat ROMs out in a matter of days of the official release, usually.