• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

International buyers concerns: Is this Atrix 4G locked to U.S AT&T?

Greetings,

I followed the nVidia Tegra2 chip since it was announced and anticipated it's usage in a mobile phone I'd find interesting. Then followed the rumors of the Motorola/Tegra2 android phone when it was just called The Terminator (or T2) and then leaks suggesting it's going to have the name Motorola Olympus 'till it was announced as the Atrix 4G during CES 2011.
So a lot of anticipation all that long and I really want the phone! :)

My question is if this Atrix 4G shipment from AT&T in a couple of days is locked to their GSM carrier or not?
I don't mind paying the ebay price (I want it that much). Just want to be sure it's gonna work with our GSM carrier (Saudi Arabia) if I just snap my SIM in it.
I've been an iphone user for many years and held on to my iphone 3GS even with my wish to jump into the android world but I did not like any device 'till I heard about the Motorola T2 (back then). So I have a very little knowledge of android phones and communities activities at hacking/unlocking GSM in android phones.

Information on the matter from the android crowd is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you're getting the AT&T Atrix, you can call them to get the unlock code for $50. Answer Center | AT&T

If the AT&T's frequencies for 2G and 3G matches your carrier's you shouldn't have any issue using the phone. You can search the web for a site that offers to sell you the unlock code for less.

Thank you for this info. That will be my tonight's search-n-read.
But how this code work? I mean is it enter only once or each time you reboot the device? or what?
Is it on the hardware level or software level?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones