international call's via home wifiSupport

Last Updated:

1. paul-e

paul-e Member This Topic's Starter

does anyone have an idea if while on my g2 using wifi if i'll be charged if i try to make international calls? my impression is stateside calls through wifi are essentially voip calls.

Advertisement
  2. djsinco

djsinco Well-Known Member

you can place int'l calls through the call phone on google chat for only a few cents a minute. the quality is also very good.

3. paul-e

paul-e Member This Topic's Starter

yeah i already do that... but if u call to a mobile it pushs the cost to 23 cents a min (for me)

4. newdad28

newdad28 Member

Oo that'd be good - anyone called internationally via wi-fi and NOT had intl charges on their bill?

5. scullywan

scullywan Member

is the wifi calling feature only stateside or universal?

6. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

I don't see why it wouldn't work the same elsewhere. The only reason they normally hit you with roaming charges is because they have to rent cell networks from other carriers. In fact, the only way they could even know you were in another country is by IP address, and even that isn't really reliable enough.

Worst case, they do try to pull something, you can just run through a US proxy. I think you should be fine, though.

7. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member

I've started using Rebtel and their int'l charges are way better and the call quality is great. I call down to Guatemala a lot and usually I'd be charged about 25c a minutes but with Rebtel it's only 11c. They have this thing where you can do free calls if the person you're calling is in a "Rebtel country" .... I have no idea how it works (Guate is not a Rebtel country) but looks like you might be able to get some freebies that way.