[International] Can I update OS if I am rooted?

Last Updated:

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader Well-Known Member

So I tried installing my first custom ROM which is the Omega18 based on the latest JB leak...bad idea....lots of FCs anywhere like if I am typing on the stock keyboard, it would just shutdown saying the keyboard has caused an error

I am not going to waste my time with this crap anymore

I have wiped my device and will now reinstall the stock Firmware i9300xxlfb

my question is, can I root my stock firmware and be able to receive regular firmware updates OTA? or that would only work with non-rooted/stock OS?

Advertisement
  2. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

I believe if you use the latest CF-Root by Chainfire, you'll be able to get OTA's, but you'll have to root it again after the update. Anyway, why bother? It's always better to flash the new firmware through Odin if you are rooted. Mostly, if you have CWM installed, if you get the OTAs, the update may get stuck as you need the original recovery.
    Matrix Leader likes this.
  3. Matrix Leader

alright thanks dude
  4. Matrix Leader

I just rooted with CF Root :) So easy :D
  5. Toosploos

Toosploos Well-Known Member

@berryracer Where do you donwload your firmware?
  6. Matrix Leader

How to un-root and flash a stock ROM

I used the guide in the video, but I downloaded the firmware using the CheckFusDownloader tool (download link in the above thread) as it gets the latest stock firmware for your device, just make sure to enter the right info

After I went back to stock since I had horrible experience with the Omega18 Jelly Bean, I rooted again :)

How to Root your Android Handset
    Toosploos likes this.