• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Can't restore stock rom on HTC one.

yep, the nandroid rom is now flashed! :D...one thing though....i`m trying to get the update done over the air and once i choose to install the htc update..it goes to recovery mode and says installation aborted.
now youll need to replace your custom recovery with a stock one. best way to do this,is to flash firmware.zip.

remember the basic directions from above:
-extract ota package and find firmware.zip
-restore rogers nandroid
-relock bootloader
-flash firmware.zip

extract the ota package on your PC so you can get to the firmware.zip. do NOT unzip or modify firmware.zip.

once youve relocked the bootloader with the command fastboot oem lock you can flash firmware.zip in this manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

after youve taken your ota,you can re-unlock,reinstall recovery,and re-flash superuser. this time,make sure you make a nandroid backup of your own prior to flashing superuser,and move it to a safe spot on your pc,just in case you need to get back to stock again :)

Reactions: rosh88
Upvote 0
I bought a used HTC One last night from a guy on Craigslist. I met him at the AT&T store, and had an associate there check the phone to make sure it was ok. He gave the nod of approval, I handed over $380 cash, and took my phone home once it was activated.

Upon getting it home, I noticed there was a software update available, which required I connect to WiFi. So I tried. And the Wifi switch is stuck on "Turning On", but never finds any networks or anything.

So I called HTC. They had me do a test where I held down the power button, then the volume down switch for 2 seconds, then continue holding the power button. Eventually a screen popped up that read "**** TAMPERED", and "**** UNLOCKED". Upon relaying this to the woman at HTC, she told me my only option was to send it in to them to replace the motherboard, at a cost of $300.

Is there ANY way to simply reset this thing to a stock ROM, so that I can get regular updates and just be on Jelly Bean? I'm not at all familiar with this kind of thing, and was hoping someone on the forum might take pity upon me and let me know what my options are.

When I go into the Software Information screen in Settings this is what it says:

Android version - 4.1.2
HTC Sense version - 5.0
Software number - 1.26.502.15
HTC SDK API level - 5.12

Any help would be hugely appreciated - I simply don't know what (if any) options I have available to me.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sorry, just on my way to bed and seen this, but "unlocked" and "tampered" does not equal replace motherboard. That's just BS from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and doesn't want to get further out of their depth.

It's certainly fixable, I just have to go offline right now. Tampered suggests that custom software has been flashed at some point. Don't try to install an official update until we can establish the state of the phone. The key to what you want is knowing the "cid" - there are instructions in this forum somewhere for finding this (Scotty85 will know) - as that will let us know what package you can run to make it fully stock. So it is doable, I just can't work through it this minute.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
assuming you simply want a stock,unrooted phone,all you need to do is relock the bootloader,then run a factory ruu.

first download this factory Rom Updater Utility:
AndroidRUU | The #1 source for Android RUU files

make sure your download matches the file size listed. charge the phone to 100%

then you can follow these basic directions:
first download and install these drivers: revolutionary drivers (mirror)

then,download this small file:
mini-adb.zip

-unzip it,and place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive(not inside a folder)

-open a cmd window(with win 7,click start bubble,type "command" or "cmd" in hte search box)

-now change to your mini-adb directory(assuming you didnt chagne the name). type in the black cmd window that opened on your PC:
cd c:\mini-adb

-uncheck "fastboot" in settings/power. power the phone off. hold volume down,then power. hold them both until you see the white/colored writing hboot screen

-select "fastboot" from the hboot menu with the vol rocker/power button

-in your cmd window type:
fastboot devices

it should output your phones serial number. if so youre good to go. if not,youre apparently having a driver issue. i usually recomend these drivers from Revolutionary: modified htc drivers download and install the drivers(you should just have to run that file). afterwards,unplug your phone,plug it back in. make sure its in fastboot. as soon as you get a result from "fastboot devices" your ready to procede to the next step.

-in your cmd window,type(or copy/paste,is much easier):
fastboot getvar all

-copy the info that outputs here. right click in your cmd window,click mark,highlight it all in white. hit enter. paste the info here. it will help us know which ruu for you to run. :)

after the "getvar all" command,enter this:
fastboot oem lock

this will relock your bootloader(possibly locking you into the bootloader with a security warning,so dont panic if you see that) so that you can run an ruu.

the ruu above is a utility,so simply run on your PC as administrator if your version of windows permits that. plug in the phone when directed.

let the utility finish,then it will reboot to an "out of the box" state,fixing your wifi issues(assuming that they were kernel/module mismatch related,and not a hardware issue)

if you wish to remain rooted,then ther are other ways we can skin the cat,so let us know if thats the case.

hope that helps,holler if you have questions :)

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
If your phone is already android 4.2.2 the location of CWM/Backup is different than the one you see on the PC.
The PC looks under data/media/0/CWM/Backup
CWM looks for your backup under data/media/CWM/Backup
you can use a root explorer to move it to the correct location after you copied it to phone on a PC.
and you don't choose install zip you choose Restore after all the files are in the right place

What will be the correct directory under the phone's internal storage if the HTC one is 4.1.2? I keep trying to move the unzipped files of the nandroid backup to the specified location using root browser but it keep saying "operation failed!"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones