International data roaming

Last Updated:

1. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does T-Mobile have an option for pre-purchasing a block of data for international roaming so you don't have to pay the normal extortionate rate for data? (Last time I was in Germany a friend had done that with AT&T for his iPhone so we could use Google maps and such. I don't know what he paid for it, though.) Are there any other less-expensive strategies apart from finding wifi hotspots for data access in Europe with a U.S. T-Mobile phone?

Advertisement
  2. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Not that I've been able to find.

I'm visiting the U. K. in April, and am looking at getting the phone unlocked and buying a PAYG SIM card for while I'm there. But at roughly $60 to do that (for two weeks), it almost looks like it'd be cheaper to get a no-contract phone (and do without data).

3. mcleaver

mcleaver Member

I am to be travelling to Switzerland in a couple of weeks Time and want to make use of my GPS traffic information through the net. However I'd rather switch off all other net access on my HTC hero.
    Is it easy to - say - stop Gmail and other programs using the net while maintaining contact for the GPS? I'll be able to check my mail locally using WiFi, and don't plan to use the roaming apart from when on the road for the GPS.

4. InstantKarma

I think if you turn off Auto-Sync, you'd be good.

5. mcleaver

mcleaver Member

That sounds sensible! I can turn it all again and turn off roaming when I am in WiFi range.
    Thanks

6. mcleaver

mcleaver Member

The question is, where do I find auto-sync? :)

7. InstantKarma

Well, if you use the stock power widget, it's the second symbol from the right; two arrows going in a circle. Otherwise, go into Settings>Data Synchronization, and it's the second option.