International dial code on caller Id

Last Updated:

1. LaughingJohn

LaughingJohn Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have a contact with their phone number stored in UK format (07....). When the contact sent me a message the caller ID had the international dialling code in front (+44 7 ....) and the message application didn't recognise the contact. I'm not sure what will happen when they call, but presumably the same thing.

So the question is, given we're both in the UK why would this particular person's caller ID show with the +44 on the front and how do I get the contact application to recognise the number as the same as the UK formatted one?

(I added the number with the +44 and it worked, but how do I know which format different contacts will use?)

Advertisement
  2. cdmackay

cdmackay Well-Known Member

I've always used +44 for all my contacts, so that they work when I'm travelling, and this has always worked fine with CallerID in the UK, on both Nokias (for years) and now on the Hero too.

i.e. if you use +44 in contacts, then CallerID will work whether it comes with or without +44, the phone can handle it.

3. LaughingJohn

LaughingJohn Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

4. SFA_AOK

SFA_AOK Well-Known Member

I've got a mixture of both in my phone i.e. some numbers start with 0, some with +44, not seen any problems yet (then again, I don't get that many calls :p )

If your contacts are synced with Google, I believe you can log into Google, export your contacts to a CSV file, make changes (i.e. so they all start with +44) and then reload them into Google. Resync your phone and your contacts should be updated.

Not sure that helps with your problem but thought I'd mention it just in case. And in case you're wondering, yes, I'm a geek :p