International Dialing Codes App?

1. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Well-Known Member

On my old Treo I had a PalmOS app and I am looking for the same information in Android market.

The old app was made by www.aramis-inc.com which comes up now as some Japanese site. The app had 3 simple pick lists; Country dialing from, country dialing to, and mode. Where mode was direct dial, MCI, AT&T others... On choosing those it would tell you the dialing code.

ie. presented 3 important pieces of information, the international access code it's 011 in US, but it's 0011 here in Australia and it varies around the world. I know you can puch in a + on the cell but I would normally be using a landline for these calls. Secondly tells you the country code for each location ie 1 for US, it's 61 for Aus. Thirdly showed the access number for each country for the major carriers. I work for a US co. so I have an MCI dialing card but I don't know all the access numbers in the various coutries I visit.

Does anyone know an app that has this data?

Advertisement
  2. If you're calling a varying number of countries regularly I can see where such an app would come in handy. But if you're only calling Oz regularly why would you need all the other ballast info? Besides: you seem to know what you need to know about calling Oz already...
  3. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

I believe an app for such feature should be fairly easy to build. The only hurdle is how to get the data for the country, mode as you mention. That information once made available will be easy to build.
  4. Eric Chomier

Eric Chomier Active Member

I have had never heard of that app, what app does it really do? I use my mobile as VoIP and have axvoice service installed. I have a small business and want to make frequent calls to different parts of the world. Will this app help me make calls quickly ? thanks
  5. sohguanh

I think the OP is saying if the app can based on what he select to show him the country code + area code so he don't have to remember them before making his call. Does this help him to make calls quickly? Hmm....
  6. Motorhomer

Motorhomer Well-Known Member

Here we go again. A person enquires about an app, which he has quite clearly thought about, and up pop a few people who tell him that he doesn't really need it!

One of you seems to think that he only visits Australia but he quite clearly states that he goes to several countries.

For those of you who never leave the US or wherever you live, this is the problem:

Countries have different access codes, which you have to input before you dial a number for a foreign country. You then need to know the international code for the country that you're calling.

You may well be in Germany and have a telephone number of a client in Brazil. You need to know the German access code and the Brazilian international code. How is he supposed to remember all these codes for several different countries?

And it's not about making calls more quickly. Imagine you're in a hotel room and you have to make a call and you don't have the codes. What do you do? You could go on-line, or phone reception and ask if they have the lists, but wouldn't it be much simpler if you had an app that has the info?

If you can't help the man that's fine, but please don't try to tell him that he doesn't need an app, about which he's quite clearly given some thought.
  7. sohguanh

Point taken. Would it be better if those access codes are stored offline or every-time the app need go online to get those codes ? I understand for some users, Internet connectivity may not be very stable or is poor and my apps have been catering to this group of users exclusively.
  8. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Well-Known Member

Wow - I haven't logged since yesterday!! Thanks Motorhomer for articulating it further. Yes this is exactly my situation. I live in Australia, work for a US company, and travel every month or so into Asia and sometimes US/Euro different countries. When using the MCI calling card I actually have to dial into the US on a company number then back out again to other country.

This info is freely available on the net if I spend the time sifting through. However like many other reference apps sometimes the simplest ones are the most useful. If I am transiting through an airport somewhere in the middle of KL, Malaysia it would be nice to dial home; orperhaps I'd like to dial a colleague in Germany to make use of the time. I could pay roaming charges to fire up the browser on the phone and spend 20 min finding the code on an MCI site and Malaysia Telekom somewhere. Or I could have it in an app which is no more than about 2k in size, instead of carrying a wallet full of 'reference cards'. Just like people have train, bus schedules, TV, and movie listing apps - the info is also out on the net but it's about convenience.

Nothing to do with dialing out on the mobile, it's just a reference info for land line numbers that are accessed from public phones, and it would need to be offline, because that's the point - avoiding firing up data roaming. To enlighten those who never travel - the carriers will often charge 100x the rate you normally see at home for data access in other countries on your own number (roaming). There is a term for it called "Bill shock". Some people wonder why they go away for 2 weeks in another country continue to post their facebook drivel every 20 min and then come home to a phone bill of $1500!!? Sad but true.

If anyone sees something resembling this please let me know.

Thanks.