• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] DjeMBeY ROM's i9505 - Dummies Guide

Model: GT-I9505 (4.3)
PDA: JSS15J.XXUEMI8
PHONE: XXUEMI8
CSC: OXAEMI8 (8 codes)
Kernel: 3.4.0-1715731 (20.09)
Bootloader FREE!!
Leaked/TEST FW
Device Status - CUSTOM
KNOX WARRANTY VOID - 0x1
Build Date: 20.09.2013
Changelist: 1715731
[ROM]><I9505 XXUEMI8><[JB 4.3]><Pre-Rooted STOCK ROM's><Odin/CWM><Odex/DeOdex> - xda-developers

I've not read anything further but going by the bit I've copied then it doesn't have the bootloader so should be Knox safe?

Edit: had a glance and several people who were on mga bootloader have issues with Wi-Fi etc while those who have been on newer locked bootloader have been fine!

Upvote 0
ANDROID 4.3 ROMs from DjeMBeY! :)

DjeMBeY has now released 2 new ROMS based on the leaked Android 4.3, XXUEMI8, release.

These are the FULL, official stock, odexed, package...

Bootloader FREE!!
FULL WIPE ROM!! BACK UP YOUR DATA!!
Leaked/TEST FW
Device Status - CUSTOM
KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x1

Original Stock ROM: Download: <<< Hotfile >>>
Stock KERNEL: Downloads: <<< Android Host >>>
Stock RECOVERY: Downloads: <<< Android Host >>>
Pre-Rooted ROM: Odex - FULL - Downloads: <<< Android Host >>>
Original (Reversible*) BOOTLOADER** - DOWNLOAD
* - Reversible back to 4.2.2 - XXUDMGG and newer FW's with KNOX Bootloader!!
Impossible to downgrade back to XXUBMH1 or older FW's!!

and the stock, modified or LITE, Package, deodexed...

Latest Bootloaders** INCLUDED!!
FULL WIPE ROM!! BACK UP YOUR DATA!!
Leaked/TEST FW
Device Status - CUSTOM
KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x1

Stock KERNEL: Downloads: <<< Android Host >>>
Stock RECOVERY: Downloads: <<< Android Host >>>
Pre-Rooted ROM: Downloads: <<< Android Host >>>
Deleted apps (XXUEMI8 - DEODEXED) - Downloads: <<< Android Host >>>
** - Reversible back to 4.2.2 - XXUDMGG and newer FW's with KNOX Bootloader!!
Impossible to downgrade back to XXUBMH1 or older FW's!!

Both ROM's are flashable via Odin and contain Knox and will increment the Knox counter to 0/1, if you haven't already done so. Both ROM's are fully reversible to post MGG>, Android 4.2.2.

These are suitable for anyone who is already on MGG> or doesn't give a fig about the Knox counter.

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0
have been keeping an eye on things on XDA today, and WHAT A DOGS DINNER THIS IS ALL TURNING OUT TO BE. posters are reporting all sorts of inconsistent results from flashing newer roms. seems to depend on what you came from, but not always! sometimes the knox counter is triggered, sometimes it's not. some have lots of glitches. some cant get wifi or custom recoveries to work........

after the simple days of S2 this all seems far from smooth

I'm just glad I stuck with MH1 and that i've got a smoothly running, rooted, great performing phone with fab battery life. the dust has really got to settle for me to move at the moment.

is this the end of our flashing days........

Upvote 0
Nothing has been as simple as the good old s2 days, however, we will prevail and continue to flash ;-)

I'm sure that there have been issues from day 1 with Wi-Fi etc so it's no real surprise there still is with the Knox issue added into the equation.

What we may find, is that if people start having issues and have voided warranty via Knox, then there may be an upsurge of insurance claims, however I for one will continue to flash, just awaiting more knowledge on Knox before going back to newer stock I'm fine with aosp based Roms for now but always get the urge to flash back to stock, if I do, it'll be an older version!

Upvote 0
My guess is that because of the Knox situation, people are not following best practice when it comes to switching from Android 4.2.2 to Android 4.3. This would normally be to flash the stock. 4.3, Samsung firmware first before flashing the new ROM. This would give a firm base line for custom ROM flashing. However, in the hope of dodging the Knox bullet, I feel that many of them have been just flashing over the top of 4.2.2 and hoping for the best... with predictable results. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
My guess is that because of the Knox situation, people are not following best practice when it comes to switching from Android 4.2.2 to Android 4.3. This would normally be to flash the stock. 4.3, Samsung firmware first before flashing the new ROM. This would give a firm base line for custom ROM flashing. However, in the hope of dodging the Knox bullet, I feel that many of them have been just flashing over the top of 4.2.2 and hoping for the best... with predictable results. :rolleyes:

Hense why I said more than ever the need for flashing correctly. Some people just love to chance it.

Upvote 0
UThis post from xda sums things up brilliantly, replying to a question someone posed about flashing the new mj5 on the old bootloader:

"You can flash with odin MJ5 and you flag shoud remain 0x0, but you will be stuck with new bootloader.
Problem with rooting ROM with new bootloader is solved, so you can root and still not trigger knox flag if you folow guides here.
But, if you try change bootloader or flash custom recovery or custom kernel you will trigger knox flag.
So it is better solution wait CWM version with custom kernel and with old bootloader because you will be knox free and have more opportunities. Combination of old bootloader and custom kernel are obligation, because old bootloader and stock 4.3 kernel symply won't work (wifi and sound problem).
Clear?"

So this new version still does not allow you to use custom recovery and stay Knox free.

Seems echoe rom is the best option for now for those of us on old bootloader wanting to try 4.3, once the updated version with the new stock kernel is released....

Upvote 0
I do not want to get anyone's hopes up but there may be a light at the end of the Knox tunnel. This is an extract from the revised post #1 of DjeMBeY...

"Important Update: 17.10.2013

I'm not sure if anybody have noticed but yesterday my thread for NOTE 3 has been locked down, and all my stuff (for Odin) has been removed! It looks like Dev designgears don't like me, and I was reported and locked but funny enough, there was NO VEGA ROM's nor Root_de_la-Vega files in my thread at all!!
I went mental and my reaction nearly costed me my Contributor title..
Anyway, once pushed hard, I came up with something new.. I've explored "VEGA EXPLOIT" and realized that it is just tip of an Iceberg! You can do many, many things using this "EXPLOIT Window" which works like backdoor access to your phone....
So, here we go...

From NOW ON, my KNOX_0x0 ROM's are called MEGA ROM's and they will be patched with KNOX_0x0 (key) and can be used with my KNOX_0x0 auto-scripts ONLY!!!
De_La_Vega_Root Script DOESN'T work on MEGA ROM's!! Delete it please....I'm sorry for any incovenience
Auto-Script's basically works like "custom recovery" without need for one.. Modifications to System Partition ONLY!

Be careful as going too far with System modifications WILL trigger KNOX flag to 0x1!!!!

This is how it works, for example, copy KNOX_0x0_XPOSED_SLIM to your internal SD and after just ONE REBOOT it will:
- remove old root& busybox
- BackUp & Remove KNOX apps
- BackUp & Remove most of Bloatware (backup will be created on /sdcard/KNOX_0x0_XPOSED_SLIM/BackUp - 370MB - JB 4.2.2 & 4.3)
- Root with latest Superuser
- install busybox
- install latest Xposed Installer as System app
- install Wanam Xposed as System app

Reboot again to make Superuser work correctly..

More Auto-Scripts coming sooon, including DeOdexed Slim Script ....
"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Updated 18.10.2013

ATTENTION PLEASE:

There's something weird going on with MEGA MJ5 and KNOX 0x0... So far, I had 4 reports that flag tripped to 0x1 and most-likely it was connected with Xposed Installer and Wanam Xposed.. Too much messing with Xposed's and it WILL trip... As you know, my KNOX is 0x1 so I can't test it..
It looks like this New Bootloader and Kernel got more sensitive/secured and this may cause more trouble in future...
I've checked Note 3 thread with Root_De_La_Vega and same thing, few people with tripped KNOX.. Really confusing is fact that in some cases it tripped after flashing Stock FW on top of Rooted one..
This is a bit worrying to me and I'll try to find out why it trips and how we can stop it.... Method itself is KNOX-Friendly but it looks like additional modifications are messing things up... Hopefully near future will clear some still unanswered questions..
BTW, I don't take any responsibility for tripped flags. Take it or leave it... as usually..
"

This would seem to be at least a step in the right direction. What do you all think?

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
I do not want to get anyone's hopes up but there may be a light at the end of the Knox tunnel. This is an extract from the revised post #1 of DjeMBeY...

"Important Update: 17.10.2013

I'm not sure if anybody have noticed but yesterday my thread for NOTE 3 has been locked down, and all my stuff (for Odin) has been removed! It looks like Dev designgears don't like me, and I was reported and locked but funny enough, there was NO VEGA ROM's nor Root_de_la-Vega files in my thread at all!!
I went mental and my reaction nearly costed me my Contributor title..
Anyway, once pushed hard, I came up with something new.. I've explored "VEGA EXPLOIT" and realized that it is just tip of an Iceberg! You can do many, many things using this "EXPLOIT Window" which works like backdoor access to your phone....
So, here we go...

From NOW ON, my KNOX_0x0 ROM's are called MEGA ROM's and they will be patched with KNOX_0x0 (key) and can be used with my KNOX_0x0 auto-scripts ONLY!!!
De_La_Vega_Root Script DOESN'T work on MEGA ROM's!! Delete it please....I'm sorry for any incovenience
Auto-Script's basically works like "custom recovery" without need for one.. Modifications to System Partition ONLY!

Be careful as going too far with System modifications WILL trigger KNOX flag to 0x1!!!!

This is how it works, for example, copy KNOX_0x0_XPOSED_SLIM to your internal SD and after just ONE REBOOT it will:
- remove old root& busybox
- BackUp & Remove KNOX apps
- BackUp & Remove most of Bloatware (backup will be created on /sdcard/KNOX_0x0_XPOSED_SLIM/BackUp - 370MB - JB 4.2.2 & 4.3)
- Root with latest Superuser
- install busybox
- install latest Xposed Installer as System app
- install Wanam Xposed as System app

Reboot again to make Superuser work correctly..

More Auto-Scripts coming sooon, including DeOdexed Slim Script ....

This would seem to be a step in the right direction. What do you all think?

whoopiedooo:party:

still cant flash custom recovery without triggering knox tho

i dont understand how echoe can offer new roms bootloader/knox free but djembey cant

it seems like djembey is making a bit of a meal of it all. that's highly critical i know, coz his roms are fab and he's working hard for a solution, and his abilities are way above anything most of us mere mortals are capable of....it just all seems a bit convoluted at the moment.

(out of sarcy mode, yup looking more and more positive that the solution is round the corner......am gonna try echoe when ive finished reading the dozens of pages on xda, but will defo go back to djembey when he gets things sorted)

Upvote 0
it seems like djembey is making a bit of a meal of it all. that's highly critical i know, coz his roms are fab and he's working hard for a solution, and his abilities are way above anything most of us mere mortals are capable of....it just all seems a bit convoluted at the moment.

I think that what DjeMBeY is trying to do is come up with a ROM that will suit both those with the pre MGG, locked bootloader and Knox Security, and do not want a locked bootloader and Knox and those who are on the post MGG firmware and do not wish to blow the Knox counter. No mean feat.

I have amended my previous post to give a warning that the Knox fixes that worked on the leaked 4.3 ROM, MJ3, seem to be fubarred on the official release for 4.3, MJ5, because it has a further modified bootloader and kernel. This is to be expected from Samsung/Knox I suppose, as soon as an exploit is found.

am gonna try echoe when ive finished reading the dozens of pages on xda, but will defo go back to djembey when he gets things sorted)

Glad you said that Syd... I have prepared some homework for you, here. ;)

Upvote 0
DjeMBeY Slim M9 CWM ROM, no Knox, is up!! :)

PDA: XXUEMJ9
PHONE: NONE
CSC: OXXEMJ8 (28 codes)
Kernel: Stock SELinux Perissive v1.2 (29.10) - CREDITS to talexop
Build Date: 26.10.2013
Changelist: 1986587
Pre-Rooted ROM (CWM): Downloads: <<< AFH >>> or <<< MEGA >>>
XXUEMJ9 WiFi_FIX - DOWNLOAD: <<< Dev-Host >>>

Source

Flashed this yesterday and I don't regret it for one instant.

Larger than Echoe Slim ROM, this ROM from DjeMBeY has less apps removed. Which is no bad thing, IMHO. No fancy bits and pieces. It is all stock and Knox free! :)

As I was coming from Echoe ROM, I decided on a clean install and followed the ROM installation instructions.

1. I installed the XXUEMJ9 modem using Odin and rebooted to check all was well.

2. I booted into PhilZ recovery and used the, "Clean to Install a New ROM", feature in PhilZ, under "Wipe Data/Factory Reset", that Syd mentioned, as I wanted to give it a try.

3. I then immediately flashed the DjeMBeY Pre-Rooted CWM M9 ROM that I had previously placed the .zip file on my SDcard, whilst still in PhilZ recovery.

4. After it re-booted I set about letting Google sync and Titanium Backup do their stuff and I was good to go, although I did freeze some unwanted apps using TB.

Everything seems to be working just fine. The stock kernel is very smooth and battery friendly and in the short time that I have been using this ROM, it has not disappointed.

One thing that I had problems with on Echoe was that my Handcent messaging was very slow to send MMS's. I guess it didn't like some of the mods. No such problem here though. Also my blutooth connections are very fast. GPS is spot on. Xposed framework and Wanam Xposed both work faultlessly on this ROM and even retained my settings after a reboot. Wi-Fi is as strong as ever and the MJ9 modem is giving me a very strong signal. One word of caution... if you are on an old, unlocked bootloader, like me, do not use the Wi-Fi fix. Just flash the modem again.

I must say, flashing a DjeMBeY ROM again was like coming home and I will give this a run for its money. :thumb:

Upvote 0
I might as well use my 7,000th post on here for something useful for a change. :rolleyes:

You talked me into it. Not sure if its the djembey effect or mj9 effect, but seems slicker. Nice having everything just working and no fancy dev mods. Quite happy I took your lead.....

I knew I could get you to bite Syd! :D

My issue with the latest Echoe Slim Roms is that they were far from stock and included all sorts of mods that I spent time getting rid of, like the full screen caller and transparent contacts, settings, etc; all of which were not my cup of tea. Not to mention the problems I had in trying to get Handcent to work with the SMS mods and group and MMS messages.

I'm finding, like you, that this DjeMBeY Slim ROM is very slick and out of curiousity, I flashed the faux123 kernel to it yesterday and am, so far, very pleased with the results.

It only remains for me to keep dangling my worm in front of Hawker who, last I heard, is on the Echoe ROM v8, MJ9. After Wales's long awaited win, over Argentina, in rugby yesterday, I doubt that there's much chance of him being in any fit state to do anything for at least 48 hours. We shall see. Besides, after their win, the Welsh rugby club are looking for a cleaner now... to polish their trophy and knowing the old boy, he's probably put his missus forward for the job! ;)

Upvote 0
I'd rather you didn't butty! :eek:

So much for my innocent fishing analogy! :rolleyes:

I will definitely get back on dejembey soon. Probably Tuesday.

Gotcha! :p

How is faux comparing with talexop old fella?

Whilst I really like the no nonsense talexop kernel that comes with DjeMBeY's ROM, for me and my uses, battery saving, the faux123, so far, is proving to have the edge on both performance and battery, particularly with the screen-on readings. This is with completely default settings in Trickster, apart from the scheduler which is set to noop and not cfq. My governor is still ondemand as I am on Power Saving all the time and I do not think intellidemand is quite the one for that. Early days yet before I decide.

Upvote 0
Two things I have noticed since being on the DjeMBeY Slim M9 ROM are...

1. The Transition animation scale in Developer options which on all other ROMs kept reverting to 1x on reboot, now sticks at 0.5x. I don't know if this is a Samsung M9 fix or down to DjeMBeY.

2. The M9 modem, i9505XXUEMJ9, is giving me a better signal in all locations and times of day... even the Twilight Zone! I am always cautious about modems and most of the JB ones that I have tried have all been roughly in the same ball park. However, in the last 4 days I have noticed that in differing locations and times, I have been getting a better signal than usual. OK, its not a staggering difference, about -2dBm or -3dBm and 2asu or 3asu on average at my desk at home but every little bit helps! I should mention that that is on HSPA with the web browser open and using Network Signal Info. No LTE/4G here in Miss Marple land.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones