• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Flashing Stock Recovery

dynomot

Android Expert
Dec 4, 2011
Sheffield U.K
I'm asking this here rather than the backwater/tumbleweed city (International) Galaxy Note 3 - All Things Root Forum (Population 1 -me) as it will at least get a response.

As I understand it I believe it is a custom recovery rather than being rooted that prevents OTA updates, yes ? If so would flashing the stock recovery (and maybe I'd have to uninstall SU) allow an OTA and thus keep my homescreens and settings ? Just a thought.

Would you not just be as well flashing the stock update over Odin and rerooting?

I'm not bothered about keeping root. Flashing an update via Odin or if possible via an OTA update will lose it anyway, necessitating a re root. All I want to do is get any update (OK, 4.4.2 on my Note 3 - probably by the end of the week) OTA like an ordinary stock, unrooted user which would keep my homescreens, apps, settings and multiple app folders I've made. Basically I'm a lazy oik and don't want to have to set it all up from scratch again.

Upvote 0
I'm asking this here rather than the backwater/tumbleweed city (International) Galaxy Note 3 - All Things Root Forum (Population 1 -me) as it will at least get a response.

As I understand it I believe it is a custom recovery rather than being rooted that prevents OTA updates, yes ? If so would flashing the stock recovery (and maybe I'd have to uninstall SU) allow an OTA and thus keep my homescreens and settings ? Just a thought.

Hi dynomot! :hello:

I know what you mean about the Note 3 International ATR forum. I visited there the other day to take a sneak look at your excellent, How to Root your Note 3 - A complete Novice's Guide and was amazed at the total indifference and lack of posts. The only ATR forum to beat it is the Google Edition forum.

It depends on how you root your Note 3... if you use a chainfire, CF-Auto Root kernel, which I'm sure you do, it is basically a manipulated stock kernel, you should be OK for stock Kies/OTA updates. As you say it is the custom recovery that screws updates up as well as tripping the Knox flag.

Personally, I would stay rooted with a custom recovery and just flash the latest stock firmware release via Odin and re-root and re-install the custom recovery. A stock firmware update should be a no-wipe and not affect your settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones