• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Fun Things To Do When Rooted :)

dynomot

Android Expert
Dec 4, 2011
Sheffield U.K
OK, I'll start the ball rolling anybody can add to this. The only thing I ask is if it is dangerous in any way please tell others it could be and why (if possible).

A simple but fun one, change the power up fanfare. This is in no way harmful if you follow my instructions to the letter.

When you power up you get the Samsung logo and tune. Altering the tune is simple, and although I'm sure it has been done before I discovered it for myself.

First find a clip approx 2-5 seconds long, or even better make your own. It needs to be an .ogg file so either make it one or convert it, there are lots of online converters that will do it for you for free.

Now rename it "PowerOn.ogg" - the capitals P & O are important. Then using a file explorer that allows you to view and alter files in your System folder go here :system>media>audio>ui. In there you will find the original PoweOn.ogg, rename it entirely PowerOn.bak, a bak file renders it useless, but keeps it should you wish to turn it back into an ogg file and reuse it. Now either cut or copy and paste your renamed clip into the folder. It will show up in an alphabetical list next to the PowerOn.bak file. Turn off your phone and turn on :) Enjoy!

Incidentally my Note 3 plays the Nokia tune on startup now :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones