1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

International GSM Galaxy Nexus not getting the option to upgrade 4.2Support

1. uhhhmeeer

uhhhmeeer Member

im not getting the option to upgrade to 4.2 my phone is not rooted and is on 4.1.2, which was an option a while ago to upgrade.

Advertisement
    :
  2. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

Have some patience
    It will come
    What version are you takju yakju etc ???
  3. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

unless you have the google direct version (yakju) your update schedule will depend on when your carrier releases it. If you aren't sure which version, you can go to google maps > settings > about. You will see something like yakjuxw listed. This will be your build. Only the Yakju and Takju builds are updated directly by google (and immediately). If you want the latest update directly from google every time, you can flash the yakju build on your phone. There are instructions for doing so posted here on the forum.
    uhhhmeeer likes this.
  4. chistery

chistery Well-Known Member

yakju in the UK and no update yet.
  5. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

Bought my Galaxy Nexus direct from Google and using it in California. Just got my update yesterday.
  6. Chris220883

Chris220883 Member

My build number is jzo54k - any ideas if ill be getting the OTA update to 4.2?
  7. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

Nobody knows.
  8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Do you have the G-Nex purchased from the Google Play store in the USA? With the last 2 updates I had to hook my phone up to WiFi, and as soon as I did that the updates came in.

If you didn't get your G-Nex from the Play store in the USA you will have to wait for your carrier to push out the OTA update to you.
  9. Chris220883

Chris220883 Member

I got mine through Vodafone in the UK, it doesn't seem branded or locked.i got the update to 4.1.2 a couple of days after release.
  10. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

Like wise updates within an week

My nexus was from 02 yakju

Release schedule usually goes
    Takju (us version with Google wallet)
    Yakju
    Then all the others at some point yakjujw etc

To me this defeats the ideologically of nexus range
    Why have devices that still wait for manufacturer or carrier approval
  11. theguest13

theguest13 Well-Known Member

Got the yakju version, not branded or locked. But on Vodafone.

I got 4.1.2 pretty quick but just waiting for 4.2, thought I would've had it by now, even had to try the Google service framework trick but no luck.
  12. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why but I don't believe Google has released 4.2 for yakju. The one comment I've found from Google is, "The Android 4.2 system update is still rolling out gradually to eligible Galaxy Nexus devices, but we haven't quite started it for yakju yet. We're working on it and hope to expand the rollout before long. There's no timeline I'm able to provide."

My guess is it should start rolling out next week.
    theguest13 likes this.
  13. heat57

heat57 Well-Known Member

As a rule, the GSM i.e. Google (SIM-Free) versions get releases first, followed (sometime and much later) by the versions issued by the individual carriers. If you look at the US carriers track records you will note that many Yanks were moaning that they were still waiting for 4.1.2 several months after the GSM ROMs were updated. Whatever your (GSM) build, yakju or takju, you have access to and can flash the takju factory image of 4.2, which has been avasilable from Googles developer site for over a week now. The only difference between the two builds is that takju includes Google Wallet, which won't be enabled on your yakju anyway since your regional identifier is Non-US. The takju build ROM works perfectly on a yakju build. I flashed this last week but preferred my ParanoidAndroid ROM because of the customisations.
    So, the moral of this story is you can have 4.2 already - just flash via adb or learn how to.
    uhhhmeeer likes this.
  14. uhhhmeeer

uhhhmeeer Member

Under about it says Samsung yakju. But the phone was not bought in the us. Could you link the thread about flashing it?
  15. mogelijk

Here are easy instructions on how to flash yakju or takju onto your Galaxy Nexus. As has been mentioned, 4.2 for yakju has not yet been released by Google, but there are links at the bottom for downloading 4.2 takju.
    uhhhmeeer likes this.
  16. ahmedansari

ahmedansari New Member

Hi, I am Ahmed from Pakistan. Just bought this device one week ago. After updating on 4.1.2. I am unable to found 4.2. When I checked my device version in Google maps >settings > about. Its is showing Samsung yakju. But still not get the 4.2. Kindly advice?
  17. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

wait patiently :D
  18. mogelijk

Google has not started the rollout of 4.2 to International phones yet, though it should happen "soon" (my guess is this week or next week).
  19. Chris220883

Chris220883 Member

I've just got the OTA update to 4.2!

Attached Files:

20. theguest13

Did you search for it or was it pop up?
  21. Chris220883

Chris220883 Member

I went into about phone to check for an update and it popped up. I'm impressed with it so far.
  22. theguest13

Grr, I've tried that a few times, and my phone was the same situation as you, not locked or branded and im with Vodafone UK. Hopefully have it by this time tomorrow.
  23. Chris220883

Chris220883 Member

Have you tried doing the whole 'force stop' and 'clear data' for the google services framework app, then check for updates again? It seems to work for some people.
  24. chistery

chistery Well-Known Member

the clear data option never appears on mine, just says computing.
  25. gtbarry

gtbarry Well-Known Member

Starting to think you should not mind waiting. A lot of minor inconveniences. Crashing Swype beta, can't find user dictionary in new 4.2 keyboard, notifications issues with third party software, starbucks app crashing, etc.

As I said, minor stuff, but still irritating.
    uhhhmeeer likes this.