• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Installing 4.2.2 via CMD on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I'm trying to install the 4.2.2 update manually via cmd and I keep on getting the same error message after hitting enter. The error message is "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

I have the 4.2.2 update in zip form in my downloads folder and I've directed cmd to there and then I've typed:

adb sideload 07501b11ad3b.signed-yakju-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.07501b11.zip

Am I doing something wrong or is my computer being stubborn?

Melzi

I have adb via the Android SDK and have put that in a folder named Android in the program files x86 folder, so how would I tell cmd to go to it then onto the downloads folder for the 4.2.2 zip file?

EDIT: So I have the path to adb:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\ADT Bundle\adt-bundle-windows-86_64-20130219\sdk\platform-tools>

If that's the correct path to adb as I can see the adb app in the list, how do I point it to the 4.2.2 zip file from there?

Upvote 0
I have adb via the Android SDK and have put that in a folder named Android in the program files x86 folder, so how would I tell cmd to go to it then onto the downloads folder for the 4.2.2 zip file?

EDIT: So I have the path to adb:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\ADT Bundle\adt-bundle-windows-86_64-20130219\sdk\platform-tools>

If that's the correct path to adb as I can see the adb app in the list, how do I point it to the 4.2.2 zip file from there?
Easiest way to know if you are in the right path is to just type in
Code:
adb devices
and if it should return your device as being attached.

Then just copy and paste the zip folder to where your adb folder is, then run the side load command.

Copy and paste your command prompt screen in between [code] [/code] boxes if you have problems or take a screen shot.

But like I said above Wugs nexus toolkit really simplifies the whole process and is a great tool to have on your computer in case of emergencies.

Upvote 0
I typed adb devices and got back

*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037*
*daemon started successfully*
List of devices attached

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\ADT Bundle\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130219\sdkplatform-tools>

I'm assuming that it didn't detect my nexus phone as it didn't appear in the list?

I've already tried using ADB Sideload Update via Wugs but it wouldn't detect my device via any of the usb ports on my pc and I don't have another usb cable to test with unfortunately.

Upvote 0
I typed adb devices and got back

*daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037*
*daemon started successfully*
List of devices attached

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\ADT Bundle\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130219\sdkplatform-tools>

I'm assuming that it didn't detect my nexus phone as it didn't appear in the list?

I've already tried using ADB Sideload Update via Wugs but it wouldn't detect my device via any of the usb ports on my pc and I don't have another usb cable to test with unfortunately.
Did you go through the driver install process? Not going to get anywhere without the right drivers installed.

Upvote 0
Now I'm just having troubles getting the zip file to install. I'm using adb sideload update and this is what I'm getting on my nexus...

Now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installation aborted.

Now I'm a sad panda cause the 4.2.2 update won't install for some reason or another :(

Upvote 0
Now I'm just having troubles getting the zip file to install. I'm using adb sideload update and this is what I'm getting on my nexus...

Now send the package you want to apply to the device with &quot;adb sideload &lt;filename&gt;&quot;...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
Installation aborted.

Now I'm a sad panda cause the 4.2.2 update won't install for some reason or another :(

Hmmm. Do you have the md5 for the update ? I'd double check it if you have it.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's 130db16f58ef96b8e5f813a9e3173186.
The md5s match I'm assuming? I don't have too much experience side loading updates, have you tried installing it through recovery?

You are currently on JDQ39?

Edit: you should be doing this:
Step 1.

Reboot your Galaxy Nexus, holding the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons while it boots up. Once you see the fastboot menu and "Start," press Volume Up to navigate to "Recovery" and press the power button. Once you see an Android with a red exclamation point icon, press Volume Up and the Power button together, which will bring you to a new menu. Navigate to "apply update from adb."

Step 2.

Connect your Galaxy Nexus to your computer with a USB cable.

Then do the side load command

Upvote 0
According to google, the previous MD5 checksum doesn't match the one from developers.google.com as they it's 2fe041ac195086ef09274204c7e265e2. So maybe downloading it directly from google's site would be better that androidpolice.com's google's link?

While on the issue of downloading from google's site, would be fine just to get the takju (with google wallet) instead of yakju or would that be a bad idea even though either build is for my "maguro (GSM/HSPA+)" phone?

Upvote 0
What you want to do is download the build 6 and gapps to your device in a place that you know where they are located. After they are downloaded, boot the device into custom recovery (either twrp or cwm). If you don't have them installed, but are rooted, you can install cwm through rom manager and twrp through goomanager. If the device is not rooted, get that done first. Once in recovery, backup your current rom in case something goes wrong that we have something to fall back on. One the backup is made, we will want to factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dalvik cache. Doing this prevents the device from bootlooping. After the three wipes, we will install rom and then gapps in that order. One that is done reboot and wait for it to boot. It might take a couple of minutes to boot, but then you should be set.

Reactions: Melzi
Upvote 0
I've got my phone unlocked & rooted YAY! OMG I'm a rebel chic now! lol

I've already done a backup of my stock 4.2.1 before I unlocked & rooted the phone. So now here come the questions again lol

Since I'm using the nexus root toolkit, is this the step in which I create the nandroid backup so if something goes wrong this is what I'm falling back on? If so what options do I choose from the list it's providing?

The options are: System partition, Data partition, Cache partition, Recovery partition, Boot (kernal) partition.

I've downloaded ROM manager since goomanager isn't compatible with my nexus according to google play.

Edit: Apparently google play was being stubborn with me, so now I have goomanager installed :) Is it ok to have both installed or only 1 of them?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones