[International] How to update to 4.1.2?

Last Updated: 2013-02-17 12:40:28
  1. Boraba

Boraba Member

Hey, i have a galaxy s3 and i don't know how to update it from 4.1.1to 4.1.2.

I tried wireless update from the phone but it says that the phone status is modified and therefore i can't update it.

I downloaded kies but it says "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware via Kies".

How can I change the device status to normal / make updating from kies work?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Hello Boraba!
    Is your device rooted? From your statement "phone status is modified" I am assuming it is.
    And what carrier are you on?
  3. Boraba

Boraba Member

Heya. My carrier is orange, I live in israel.
    When I bought the phone it had a lot of bloatware so I just flashed it to a stock rom without any bloatware, and that's all.

I just did that thing where you press and hold the home + volume down + power buttons and the counter is 1.
  4. Mikestony

Ah, so you installed the stock rom thru Odin correct?
  5. Boraba

Boraba Member

Yes sir.
  6. Mikestony

7. Boraba

Boraba Member

Yes I'm pretty sure I have the I9300 model, that's what it said on the odin screen.
    However I'd rather restore the phone to the official stock firmware so I can get official updates normally with kies, rather than with odin. I found this guide about unrooting the device:

How to Unroot Galaxy S3 I9300 on Jelly Bean Official Firmware [Tutorial] - IBTimes UK

What do you think about this method? will it restore the phone to the original software? and can I get future updates with kies if i follow it?
  8. Mikestony

It looks like that would work, but I am not totally familiar with your model.
    So, if you don't mind, I will move your thread into your device's "rooting" forum and others there can assist better than I:)
  9. Mikestony

I moved your thread to your device forum here so that others that have your device can help out.
    :)
  10. Boraba

Boraba Member

Sure np.
    Gonna try to follow that link and see if it works, i'll let you know.
  11. Boraba

Boraba Member

Okay so I managed to reset the flash counter to 0.
    Now I just need to get a firmware for GT-I9300 from sammobile.com.
    The problem is that it asks me for a username and password, how am I supposed to access this website?
  12. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

The site appears to be down for maintenance at the moment but once it's up there should be an option in the top right corner under the log in, to register. Register there and then it'll let you download your original Israeli firmware with the correct csc. Although I'd recommend flashing the latest firmware regardless of country of origin ( ignore Chinese ones as they have a different bootloader). Fair enough kies still won't work but you can manually flash each update to the latest a lot quicker than your Israeli carrier releases them
    silentwitness and Mikestony like this.
  13. Boraba

Boraba Member