• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] HTC One:- Vodafone branding removal

Hi scotty85, ok so you've shamed me :eek:. Don't worry I didn't take any offence at any short answers, I felt worse for you guys trying to help me out and I'm just not getting anywhere with it. So, I'm going to start again from the beginning:thinking: see how it goes. Cheers, Martin.

Lol I didn't mean to shame you. Just meant if its something you want,don't give up we can help you :)

Reactions: peachy125
Upvote 0
Hi guys, after a few days out I have decided to have another crack and I have managed to unlock boot loader. In the end I had to use a different computer as I think the HDD was failing. Anyway, boot loader unlocked! now to install recovery and flash superuser.

Great Peachy, you have managed the biggest challenge, getting the two (device and PC) to communicate. The rest is relatively straight forward.

Now you're in a great position I would gain S-Off (remove HTC security flag) before anything else, as if anything ever goes pear-shaped you can usually recover from it with S-Off since the phone will allow to flash virtually anything unsigned.

You already have several links in the posts here to be able to do it.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Hi guys. Well yet again I'm struggling, I'm trying to run rumrunner as heat57 suggested to gain s-off but I just keep getting this message back in the command window ERROR: run rumrunner again and READ (no adb connection to device. Debugging on?
Drivers?)
Press ENTER to exit.

I've uninstalled the drivers/adb fastboot and re-installed and I just can't seem to figure it out now. Cheers, Martin.

Upvote 0
Have you looked in Windows device manager after connecting the phone to your PC via USB? When you have rebooted into bootloader, does it show up in device manager as 'HTC Android device' or Android adb? Have you got debugging ticked in developer options?

When your in bootloader, connected your phone with USB to your PC and open the command window in the directory where your adb executable is located then type 'fastboot devices' (without quotes) and if you have a proper adb connection it should return your phones serial number.

If that is not the case then you have not got the drivers properly installed und you have to try again to install them.

Upvote 0
Martin, I had similar problems with adb comms and Windows driver installation for adb. In the end I found this driver package and used it successfully. You might want to do the same. When you install it do so as admininstrator (right-click the exe). Here is a link to the file UniversalAdbDriverSetup6.msi | by DocHoliday77 for Galaxy S 3_T-Mo

Upvote 0
Thank you heat57, I'm still messing around with adb etc trying to get them comunicating again. When i boot the phone into bootloader then go into fastboot usb, my phone shows up in device manager as "android device" and underneath it says "my htc", but when my phone is just booted up as normal up to the desktop, it shows further down in other devices, and within, marked with the yellow question mark is "android phone" and "cdc serial" indicating there are no drivers. Also when trying to go through the instructions for rumrunner, I'm a bit confused with this line, "Ensure device is booted to android with usb debugging enabled". Do I just have my phone booted up as normal when using rumrunner and do everything through the command window?

Just tried the universal adb set up and it's still the same

Upvote 0
Thank you heat57, I'm still messing around with adb etc trying to get them comunicating again. When i boot the phone into bootloader then go into fastboot usb, my phone shows up in device manager as "android device" and underneath it says "my htc", but when my phone is just booted up as normal up to the desktop, it shows further down in other devices, and within, marked with the yellow question mark is "android phone" and "cdc serial" indicating there are no drivers. Also when trying to go through the instructions for rumrunner, I'm a bit confused with this line, "Ensure device is booted to android with usb debugging enabled". Do I just have my phone booted up as normal when using rumrunner and do everything through the command window?

Just tried the universal adb set up and it's still the same

Did you use the guide here? If so,are you able to change to your miniadb folder and get responses to adb devices and fastboot devices ?

Windows xp is not a troublsome version to.get adb/fastboot working. The first few steps of the root guide gives links for drivers and a useable package with the most current adb/fastboot,as well as some troubleshooting steps.

Upvote 0
now that im back at a pc,here are a few basic troubleshooting tips that may help you figure out your connectivity issues:
troubleshooting connectivity issues:
*make sure you have changed to your adb/fastboot directory!
*make sure usb debugging is enabled(checkmarked) to use adb in the OS
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
-windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot(not hboot!),enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

Upvote 0
Hi scotty85, I seem to have the adb/fastboot and HTC usb drivers sorted now after going through it all thoroughly. The problem I'm having right now is trying to s-off. I have tried running rumrummer a few times now and I keep on getting this :- FATAL download updated package at www.rumrunner.us, which I have done twice (even though it's the exact same file given in the link in the forums) but keeps on giving me the same message.

Upvote 0
I think I could be in trouble, I flashed TWRP to the phone and when I boot into recovery it goes to team win recovery project screen but won't let me install. I can't activate anything on the menu at all. If I press power it shows an unlocked padlock with twrp in the combilock and at the bottom of the screen is a swipe function to unlock, only it doesn't work. Also, in bootloader it now shows TAMPERED above UNLOCKED.

Flashed this "recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-m7ul.img" to the phone instead and I'm not sure which file to install. If I go into "choose zip from sd card" I get this - o/
- legacy/
- obb/

Of I go into - o/ it gives a list of files on the phone and both twrp and clockworkmod are there. If I select clockworkmod to install it just says no files found, and the same with twrp.

Upvote 0
Hi Martin, which version of TWRP did you flash?

The padlock with the swipe bar is what it should be and swiping left to right should open TWRP menu with grey rectangular tiles for individual functions, e.g. install, wipe, reboot etc.

You say that you flashed CWM and that, I guess when you press install zip you get asked for the path to the file, right? I don't use CWM but my guess is that you can select all of the locations offered until you find the file; you just 'go up' the directory tree again, if you chose the wrong one, back to the root like 0/.

To flash any image file the adb command is 'fastboot flash recovery 'reoveryfilename'.img'

By-the-way, the tampered flag is normal and that can be safely removed after you gain S-Off, but first things first.

Upvote 0
Hi heat57, this is the TWRP img I flashed "openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-m7.img", but the swiping wouldn't work, neither would the touch screen on the menu's. With clockworkmod I couldn't find the file anywhere, I went through them all and nothing. With TWRP it was all just locked up nothing would work.

I have now flashed "openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-m7.img" and I can use the menu and swipe from left to right and scroll to the file but it wont install.

Update:- I now have the above recovery on my phone but I don't think i'ts installed properly. I have checked on root checker and my device isn't rooted yet. I have supersu downloaded from google play but it's trying to update binaries and keeps failing.

Installed SuperSu through TWRP and have now gained root access.

Tried, tried and tried again but can't get s-off.

Upvote 0
Peachy, which hboot version is the phone running? I looked through the thread and either I am going blind or you haven't stated it yet. If you haven't, look at the bootloader screen, it will tell you. If you are on anything other than hboot versions 1.54 or 1.55 then rumrunner won't work. Let us know.

In any event, you have managed to liberate your device and S-Off is really just an additional safety feature, imho. But if we can help to get you through this last hurdle then so much the better, however, if not successful it won't impede your new found freedom too much. ;)

Upvote 0
Actually,rumrunner should work on just about anything that is able to be htcdev unlocked. Verizon phones that require temp root are really the only ones that are buid specific. In some cases an insecure kernel may need to be installed as well.

Peachy,you will need to have superuser installed to run rumrunner or firewater. However,I am unsure about your error. Did you download the "universal" rumrunner from their page?

This is the one you need:

http://rumrunner.us/rumrunner_downloads/rumrunner_HTC_0.5.0.zip

Upvote 0
Hi scotty85, I have SuperSu installed and the download I used was that very one in your link above. Should I try firewater instead do you think?

Here is my bootloader screen if it helps at all:-
***TAMPERED***
***UNLOCKED***
M7_UL PUT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.55.0000
RADIO-4A.21.3263.04
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-3.63.161.6
eMMC-boot2048MB
Nov 5 2013, 16:13:23.0

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones