• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] PhilZ CWM Recovery - Dummies Guide

I looked through this thread first, very entertaining :), but didn't come across the answer to my question; perhaps someone can help.

I notice in my version of PhilZ (v6.25.0) that there are two reset options:

Wipe Data/Factory Reset
Clean to Install a New ROM

Is there any advantage to using the first option and then the second option before installing a new ROM or will the second option alone cover all the bases?

Upvote 0
I looked through this thread first, very entertaining :), but didn't come across the answer to my question; perhaps someone can help.

I notice in my version of PhilZ (v6.25.0) that there are two reset options:

Wipe Data/Factory Reset
Clean to Install a New ROM

Is there any advantage to using the first option and then the second option before installing a new ROM or will the second option alone cover all the bases?

The only difference between the two is the latter also formats /system. If you are about to flash a new rom then it doesn't make much difference As most custom roms do this in the updater-script

Reactions: marcus33
Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 6.57.9 is up! :)

"- fix install in "Free Browse Mode" from non vold managed volumes"

Download for i9505, 6.57.9.

Download for i9500, 6.48.4

Source

End of Support

"Seems many are hammering and crying in their support threads about updates

To make it clear, I added announcement to head of OP: "End Of Support"

I also update project status: No Longer Updated

As I mentioned before, I have a lot of new important projects in my real life. I am very happy to abandon this project for real life alternatives.
CWM is a dead project for now, until some dev resurrects it. I was about to do, until these new projects came.

Current version will probably work a while for many devices. Some devices with new ROM installers could have issues. Just use TWRP or the CM Simple Recovery

If the current version works for you, there is no reason you don't use it though. No need to bitch in all threads because it doesn't work for you. Just move on to other alternatives.
"

Source

I would like to offer my thanks to Phil3759 for all his support. :congrats:

Upvote 0
My phone turns on but I was dumb and deleted a system app with my rooted phone. Now when I turn it on, I cannot get past the "Select language" part

So, not, "bricked", then. You will need to download and flash, via Odin, the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone and CSC code by following the the instructions and video in the links in #1.5 of 28 Galaxy S4 models - know yours?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones