• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] PhilZ CWM Recovery - Dummies Guide

I think....

5.08.5 (11.07.2013)
- Compile Aroma File Manager (by amarullz) zip installer under recovery:
* either compile whole recovery, zip will be created at first pass
* or only compile aroma zip installer in two pass:
1- mmm bootable/recovery/aromafm
2- mmm bootable/recovery/aromafm/tools
* output: [target_out]/aromafm_out/aromafm_[DeviceID].zip
- detect aroma compatibility with non NEON devices during compiling
- use less conflicting flags: TARGET_NAME --> TARGET_COMMON_NAME

Upvote 0
I apologise if this is a stupid question but after installing cwm and rom manager and then doing a nandroid back up it ended on a screen showing this.

ROM may flash stock recovery on boot

THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE

-NO
-NO
-YES -Disable recovery flash
-NO
-++++++Go Back+++++++

Which should i chose?? I assume it's yes but you know what assume does.

Upvote 0
I apologise if this is a stupid question but after installing cwm and rom manager and then doing a nandroid back up it ended on a screen showing this.

ROM may flash stock recovery on boot

THIS CAN NOT BE UNDONE

-NO
-NO
-YES -Disable recovery flash
-NO
-++++++Go Back+++++++

Which should i chose?? I assume it's yes but you know what assume does.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums mrplasid!

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask... unless I have already given the answer previously and you have not bothered to read it! Which, in this case, I haven't. ;)

Just select, "-++++++Go Back+++++++". Then, when rebooted, go into ROM Manager and Reboot into Recovery and you should be taken to your new Pink/Grapefruit/Mango coloured, PhilZ touch recovery.

Reactions: mrplasid
Upvote 0
What do ya know, I went ahead and found it anyway ;-)

5.09.2 (21.07.2013)
- fix compiler warning in nandroid.c / nandroid_callback()
- remove non used virtual_keys images from ramdisk
- resync sources
- merge cm-10.1 changes:
* SELinux: don't suppress the "no file_contexts" message on the UI
* add --headless mode

5.09.1 (20.07.2013)
- add NTFS support for external storage

5.09.0 (19.07.2013)
- exfat-fuse: use existing external/exfat and external/fuse branches
- exfat-fuse: remove old implementation for prebuilt binary

5.08.9 (18.07.2013)
- compile mount.exfat-fuse static binary along recovery source to support exfat on cm-10.1 kernels
- fix Aroma File Manager compiling for non NEON devices
- clean up code (partition sdcard menu)
- fix broken touch after screen wake-up for some phones (i9500)
- resync sources

On another note, the previous version is working brilliantly for me and is also finding my sd card without having formatted it!

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0
Philz 5.10.0 is now available.
I'll leave it to ferrite posterior for any changelogs.

Damn its like the good old S2 days!

Edit:
Obviously the old man his dragging his heels. Obviously tied up performing some depraved physical act with what can only be very loosely be described as the female of the species. (which species I shall leave up to you to decide)

5.10.0 (25.07.2013)
- reorganize Backup and Restore menu:
* remove stock CWM Advanced Restore function
* move choose backup format to Misc Nandroid Settings menu
- add Misc Nandroid Settings option to disable nandroid size progress
- nandroid size progress is now disabled by default for specific phones (i9505)
- merge cm-10.1 changes:
* remove useless Fix Permissions menu

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0
Clearly you guys took too long to come over here and left me with ironass myself for too long.....

5.10.0 (25.07.2013)
Quote:
- reorganize Backup and Restore menu:
* remove stock CWM Advanced Restore function
* move choose backup format to Misc Nandroid Settings menu
- add Misc Nandroid Settings option to disable nandroid size progress
- nandroid size progress is now disabled by default for specific phones (i9505)
- merge cm-10.1 changes:
* remove useless Fix Permissions menu
- It's summer time: open source many parts of PhilZ Touch
* settings file config
* all misc nandroid settings menu setup
* get rom name function to stamp backup folder name
* free browse mode and custom install zip folder

Upvote 0
Hello all!
On my 9500 rooted with stock ROM, I followed the instructions to install this using Odin 3.07 and the latest .MD5 (5.08.8-i9500 if I'm reading it correctly). Booted into the download mode, connected it and ran Odin, browsed to the .MD5 file and let it rip. It seemed to go well; no error messages, everything came back OK. The phone rebooted to the screen with the red 'droid image. That all seemed to go well too and the phone rebooted again.
I have ROM Manager installed. When I go to 'Recovery Setup' it indicates that the curent recovery is ClockWorkMod 5.X.X.X. Attempting to reboot into recovery from here only causes the phone to freeze.
When I try to boot into the recovery mode from power up it's still the same stock recovery screen. It doesn't appear that anything happened. I did wipe the cache but didn't do anything else such as wipe data.
Any ideas? Any additional info I can provide to facilitate troubleshooting?

Upvote 0
I rooted using a generally accepted method found in the XDA forum. I can't recall exactly which...it may have been the one in the guide you're referring to. I did it using Odin. Is there a way I can determine which method it was after the fact? Should I consider un-rooting and re-rooting the phone (I seem to recall that such a thing is possible)?
And thanks for your patience with my noob-ness.

Upvote 0
I guess the I9500 is already getting pushed to the side for the more popular I9505.

It was always likely to happen, if Samsung released more details on the chipset they'd have better development, also more people on it, more people wanting custom roms, I can quite understand why the 9505 gets better support.

personally I'd have liked the 9500, but only so I could say I had the newest type of device with the 8 cores, otherwise, when I realised it was the quad core I was happy enough as I knew development would be better :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones