• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] PhilZ CWM Recovery - Dummies Guide

I originally flashed PhilZ 5.10.8 .zip file via Recovery, after cache and dalvik wipes, and encountered the reboot/shutdown problem, whereby it would shut down instead of rebooting itself and needed to be started manually.

I then re-flashed the PhilZ 5.10.8 .tar file via Odin and this cured the problem.

Personally, I do not think it was using the .tar file... I think it just needs to be flashed twice in some cases.

Upvote 0
These are the exact reasons I've not updated since 5.08.5, I've found it to be most stable, flash everything I've asked of it first time and finds my sd card and has created several usable backups on my sd card(I've never reformatted it!) I did try a version of the official cwm that was recommended/required to flash probam aokp 4.3, but it didn't find my sd card!

Upvote 0
These are the exact reasons I've not updated since 5.08.5, I've found it to be most stable, flash everything I've asked of it first time and finds my sd card and has created several usable backups on my sd card(I've never reformatted it!) I did try a version of the official cwm that was recommended/required to flash probam aokp 4.3, but it didn't find my sd card!

Same here butty.
;)

Upvote 0
I tried reflashing the zip a few times last night butty, but this made no difference.
Tried an Odin flash, and this made no difference neither.

Knowing Phil, I expect an update will be along soon.

Humour me please, Hawker, old stick... could you do a ROM Manager, Fix Permissions, for me and see if that makes a difference. Takes about 5 minutes.

Upvote 0
I tried for you old boy, coz I know the old Welsh git is a little unreliable and, as demonstrated by the speed in which he got his scripts out, not always the quickest to respond....

Did as you said. It made no difference to my ability to reboot from recovery. It did however bugger up my 3minit settings. Don't worry, the solicitors won't be calling, managed to get them back.

Upvote 0
Humour me please, Hawker, old stick... could you do a ROM Manager, Fix Permissions, for me and see if that makes a difference. Takes about 5 minutes.

A fix permissions screwed up my current rom/3minit setup...battery icon went back to stock, all homescreen widgets blacked out.
Luckily I did a cwm backup beforehand as I couldn't be bothered with all that faffing around.

Upvote 0
A fix permissions screwed up my current rom/3minit setup...battery icon went back to stock, all homescreen widgets blacked out.
Luckily I did a cwm backup beforehand as I couldn't be bothered with all that faffing around.

How odd! All that happened for me was that I had to reset the clock in Fancy Widgets and do a restore on 3Minit settings. All my other widgets were fine. It was the only other thing that I remember doing after my original PhilZ problem. Oh, well, so long as you did not take my name in vain. ;)

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 5.10.9 is up! :)

"1- This version is built on cm-10.1 kernel and should fix flashing cm-10.2 files
2- It uses exfat-fuse modules, so feel free to try, but it will probaly very slow on exfat cards. It is meant for cyanogen/aokp users as they do not natively need exfat
3- It is embedded with ntfs/exfat/vfat modules
4- Time setting: made small changes, hope it did not break time
5- Mount USB storage: made some changes to enable it, so please report
"

Download for i9505, v5.10.9.

Download for i9500, v5.08.8

Source

UPDATE

Reboots fine. No switching off.
Date is shown correctly on backup screen. Time = GMT (not BST)
Correct date & time for backup shown in ROM Manager, previously showed 31 December 1979.
Backup time to ext sd = 14 min's. Previously = 17 min's
Backup size = 3.37GB

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 5.11.0 is up! :)

"- update to cwm 6.0.3.7
* Fix issue where android device manager, etc, dont actually wipe data.
--wipe_data issues via /cache/recovery/command will now completely format data.
- clean up code when calling format_device() for sd-ext
- fix repacking script for toro, toroplus, grouper, protou
- release i9505 cyanogenmod kernel based version
- compile separate toro and toroplus
- compile separate grouper
- revise protou-jb repack and remove protou-ics
- remove cm-10.1-repack as it was always keeping old kernel and base files
- jfltexx (i9505 cyanogenmod version) is now built properly using TARGET_RECOVERY_INITRC := device/samsung/jf-common/recovery/init.recovery.rc
- jfltexx: fix unmount /system by using recovery-loader.sh in jf-common.mk
"

Download for i9505, v5.11.0.

Source

UPDATE

Reboots fine. No switching off.
Correct date & time for backup shown in ROM Manager, previously showed 31 December 1979.
Backup time to ext sd = 12 min's. Previously = 14 & 17 min's
Backup size = 3.37GB

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 5.11.1 is up! :(

"- ramdisk fixes for most devices to fix adb and sideload
- n7100/n7105/i317M: update to adam 2.7 kernel
- i9500: move to adam 1.8 kernel to spare some ramdisk space and include back ntfs modules
- i9505 variants: revise ramdisk for stock based kernel edition
"

Download for i9505, v5.11.1.

Source

UPDATE

No auto reboot on this version, for me.
Backup time to ext sd = 17 min's. Previously = 12 min's
Backup size = 3.37GB

Reverted back to v5.11.0 and auto reboot is fine.

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 5.11.2 is up! :)

"- ramdisk fixes for most devices to fix adb and sideload
- n7100/n7105/i317M: update to adam 2.7 kernel sensor free
- i9500: migrate to wanam sensors-free kernel v1.8 (fix boot into recovery delays, add back ntfs support)
- i9500: do not mount /data in postrecoveryboot.sh
- i9505: migrate to audism special repacked kernel (13.1) to fix poweroff bugs + update exfat kernel modules
- i9505 variants: revise ramdisk for stock based kernel edition
- properly unmount /data after loading recovery settings on start
- properly unmount /data on recovery start for datamedia devices as per last cm changes
- mount /data before write_recovery_version() checks
- move advanced and twrp nandroid code to separate included file for easier code maintenance with cm sources
"

Download for i9505, v5.11.2.

Download for i9500, v5.11.2

Source

UPDATE

Auto reboot is fine on this version, for me.
Correct date & time for backup shown in ROM Manager.
Backup time to ext sd = 17 min's.
Backup size = 3.37GB

Upvote 0
Yes my time stays at 00:00 as well with 5.11.2.

Just to show how much bloat ware can be got rid of my first Nandroid was with stock Vodafone ROM (obviously rooted and Philz flashed) all my apps redownloaded from play store and all my settings how I wanted took over 54 minutes and was a huge 4.2 Gig. It's took 17 minutes to restore, and it is a good job it did restore as I borked my phone with 3minit. Lord knows how, that's another thread.

Upvote 0
I'll do the links shall I old boy! :banghead:

Download for i9505, v5.13.9.

Download for i9500, v5.11.2

Spoonfed_Baby.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones