• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] PhilZ CWM Recovery - Dummies Guide

I'm beginning to wonder that myself! :vamp:

The fact of the matter is that I have been unable to do a nandroid backup with any PhilZ release after v5.15.8.

I would be interested if anyone else on a stock, modified, ROM has been able to get the latest releases to work with a backup to extSD:questionmark:

Perfectly willing to try in the interest of research Ironass. If call is quiet this evening ( p*ss off Mrs Smith your bog will wait to be unblocked, you say you have another three use one of them, you silly cow - now if only I could say that to some of them) I'll flash the latest Philz and give it a whirl.

Upvote 0
Right to check for Ironass, here goes.

Phone GT-I9505

Firmware :I9505XXUBMH1 (DjeMBeY MH1, "full fat" version deodexed)

Kernel: Adam 1.6

Recovery: Philz 5.14.9

Nandroid done to a blank memory card, md5 check sum on, note the time two hours ahead of when it was actually done.

20131009_234802_zps7eeb89d4.jpg

Philz 5.17.1 Flashed using Odin 1.85 on Windows Home Premium Vista (spit,spit) PC:

20131009_235930_zps028a864c.jpg

Nandroid with Philz 5.17.1 to external SD card (Philz now calls it sdcard1). Note time is still two hours ahead

RESULT OF TRYING TO RESTORE NANDROID MADE WITH PHILZ 5.14.9 USING PHILZ 5.17.1- NOTE: POWERED DOWN AND REENTERED RECOVERY MANUALLY

All hunky dory and restored. Unless your doing something I'm not that previously worked for you that now does not I'm puzzled Ironass.

Upvote 0
Right to check for Ironass, here goes.

Phone GT-I9505

Firmware :I9505XXUBMH1 (DjeMBeY MH1, "full fat" version deodexed)

Kernel: Adam 1.6

Recovery: Philz 5.14.9

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All hunky dory and restored. Unless your doing something I'm not that previously worked for you that now does not I'm puzzled Ironass.

Thanks for all your effort dynomot! :thumbup:

PhilZ 5.14.9 worked great for me too!

In fact, all releases up to and including v5.15.8 worked for me.

As per my posts #95, #97 and #98, it was the PhilZ releases 5.16.2, 5.17.1 and 5.17.6 that caused me problems.

Phil has now removed 5.16.2, 5.17.5 and 5.17.6 from downloads and has left the one you tried, 5.17.1.

My storage under Advanced in Recovery is set to, "/data/media/0", and I am using the stock DjeMBeY kernel and not Adam.

Have re-downloaded 5.17.1 and tried it, yet again, after wiping cache and dalvik and I am getting the message, "Can't mount backup path", when attempting to create a backup with ROM Manager. I tried changing my backup path and still, no go.

My gut feeling is that Phil uses either the Ausdim or Adam kernel images in the latest releases and they may be causing a problem for me and other stock kernel users on the xda thread, who have also returned to 5.15.8.

Thanks for all your effort though dyno... do you want Syd's old job of chief kamikaze test pilot? ;)

Upvote 0
No I couldn't take Syd'd crown off of him !

I enjoyed last night apart from waiting for the massive Nandroid back ups to complete. I was fully intending to go and try your base set up Ironass, but it got a bit late. I tried with Adam 1.6 as I had my suspicions too.

With my missus being on nights next week, a flashing fest is on the cards. However tonight I have a couple of hours once the kids are in bed to try your set up. I shall start from scratch factory wipe it. Flash your Kernel format memory card, flash Philz 5.14.9 do a Nandroid, flash Philz 5.17.1 do another Nandroid then try and restore the 5.14.9 one. My guess is it'll throw a wobbly, but we'll see.

Upvote 0
Strange! :thinking:

There is a difference in the backups, for me, made with PhilZ 5.15.8 and all the later versions as shown in the 2 screenies below.

The Philz 5.15.8 contains 14 files, including the all important, "nandroid.md5", file. The latest PhilZ recoveries after 5.15.8 only have half as many files, 7, and are missing the, "nandroid.md5", file.

It seems that even if I re-flash the PhilZ 5.15.8 recovery I still only get 7 files and no, "nandroid.md5", file.

I had to go back and do a full re-install and re-root from scratch before I could get a 14 file backup again with, "nandroid.md5".

Try it yourself. Make a nandroid with a PhilZ recovery later than 5.15.8 and check the number of files and then try and restore it. I obviously received an, "md5 mismatch",

I am on the stock, modified, DjeMBeY MH1 ROM with his kernel.

PhilZ backup made using 5.18.0

PhilZ backup made using 5.15.8

Of course, as always, it could just be me as I had a few sherberts over the weekend but this has happened on every nandroid since 5.15.8 and renders them useless for restoring for me.

Just a thought... perhaps the latest versions are more suited to TWRP and not CWM. :dontknow:

Upvote 0
My back up last night was 14 files including the nandroid.md5

How odd

https://db.tt/wKgjZh0d

Was that using ROM Manager to back up?

I've not used philz or any other recovery backup for quite some time now.
I use OBackup.
With this for me, 3.2Gb takes approx 8 mins onto my external sd card (Samsung 64Gb class 10)

I have been using OBackup ever since you put me on to it but in the interests of testing the latest PhilZ releases, I have been doing nandroids through ROM Manager.

It's probably just me then. I've lost the plot! :stupid:

Upvote 0
Was that using ROM Manager to back up?

I have been using OBackup ever since you put me on to it but in the interests of testing the latest PhilZ releases, I have been doing nandroids through ROM Manager.

It's probably just me then. I've lost the plot! :stupid:

Lost the plot?
Did you ever find it in the first place old fella?
:D

Upvote 0
v5.18.2

- user can enable/disable nandroid backup/restore of selinux context: speed up things for non JB 4.3 users
- fix bug where restore compressed archive from external storage caused minivold crash because of busy volume
- S4 mini (i9195/i9190): use exfat/ntfs ko modules with custom kernel from samsung sources (thanks to @wanam)
- Xperia Z (yuga): use stock Sony + exfat ko module instead of fuse
- misc bug fixes
- fix const correctness

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
6/10 for effort old Welsh warlock!

This is positively, absolutely, the last time I show you...

PhilZ Recovery 5.18.2 is up! :)

"- user can enable/disable nandroid backup/restore of selinux context: speed up things for non JB 4.3 users
- fix bug where restore compressed archive from external storage caused minivold crash because of busy volume
- S4 mini (i9195/i9190): use exfat/ntfs ko modules with custom kernel from samsung sources (thanks to @wanam)
- Xperia Z (yuga): use stock Sony + exfat ko module instead of fuse
- misc bug fixes
- fix const correctness
"

Download for i9505, v5.18.2.

Download for i9500, v5.15.0

Source

Upvote 0
Update v5.18.5

- unmount /data on user request for /data/media devices
- Asus Nexus 7 2013 (flo) support
- HTC One AT&T support
- HTC One m7ul, m7spr, m7att, m7tmo: support exfat kernel module instead of fuse
- Galaxy S3 i9300/i9305: add exfat kernel module support in minivold
- fix bug when reading partition link target
- do not ever log to screen mount/unmount events for sdcards (this will preserve ui_print for USB OTG volumes)
- write recovery version on exiting recovery instead of start: spare an extra partition mount/unmount on start

Upvote 0
PhilZ Recovery 5.18.7 is up! :)

"- optimize Install zip menu + order entries
- merge "minui: Allow devices to blank/unblank using LCD backlight" into cm-10.2
- merge "recovery: Add a proper CleanSpec.mk * Clean all the stuff that conflicts with AOSP recovery."
- merge "Add guard makefile for allowing simple recovery build"
- merge "Quickly install from last install path"
- merge "Enable optional swipe based touch controls
"

Download for i9505, v5.18.7.

Download for i9500, v5.15.0

Source

Personally, I'm still on PhilZ 5.15.8.

Reactions: Hawker and Sydney99
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones