• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide

Finally got around to putting a custom rom on my SGS4 (after over a year on stock!).

Great guide ironass, as always. Since I've essentially reverted back to n00b status after being out of the game for a year or so, this jogged my memory on lots of things.

Don't do that Kie. You frightened me. I thought that after 5 months that someone actually had a problem with this guide. ;)

Good to see you on here old antipodean flasher! :)

(Actually, probably not the best thing to say in light of the ongoing Rolf Harris trial :eek: )

Upvote 0
Great guide, I just finished the entire process successfully, very straight forward and easy to follow. I just bought an i9505 and this is not just my first Android phone but my first "smartphone" in general so I'm learning from scratch (I'd been using a Nokia e55 for the last few years and only symbian mobiles since the 6600).

First question; is backing up /efs necessary via Root Explorer? I just completed a Nandroid backup and noticed it also backed up efs. I've copied it to my PC and see a file 38kb called efs.ext4.tar so I assume this is the same /efs you ask us to backup via Root Explorer. Attached a screenshot of the file contents.

attachment.php

Instead of buying Root Explorer I'd rather donate my money to Danvdh for his CM Edition ROM which I plan on installing next.. once I've figured out how ([ROM] KVT49L [AOSP] 【4.4.2】Dan&Ktoonsez 【CM Edition】 - Stables only! - June 1st, 2014 - xda-developers)

Next question. Should I be making regular backups with Nandroid or Titanium? I'm assuming I only need to make a Nandroid backup before and after rooting and/or flashing ROMs, whereas Titanium is for regular backups of the file system. Is this correct?

Thanks again for the guide, this whole rooting thing was much easier than expected and with the ability to make complete backups it should be the norm.

Attachments

• efs.jpg
    efs.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0
Congratulations Vicx! :congrats:

First question; is backing up /efs necessary via Root Explorer? I just completed a Nandroid backup and noticed it also backed up efs. I've copied it to my PC and see a file 38kb called efs.ext4.tar so I assume this is the same /efs you ask us to backup via Root Explorer. Attached a screenshot of the file contents.

That is indeed, your /efs file.

Instead of buying Root Explorer I'd rather donate my money to Danvdh for his CM Edition ROM which I plan on installing next.. once I've figured out how ([ROM] KVT49L [AOSP] 【4.4.2】Dan&Ktoonsez 【CM Edition】 - Stables only! - June 1st, 2014 - xda-developers)

Root Explorer is useful for many other operations that require changing of permissions, for instance, as well as editing system files. Well worth having IMHO.

Next question. Should I be making regular backups with Nandroid or Titanium? I'm assuming I only need to make a Nandroid backup before and after rooting and/or flashing ROMs, whereas Titanium is for regular backups of the file system. Is this correct?

I always make a nandroid if I am about to flash a new ROM as well as one after I have flashed it. A nandroid is a mirror image in time and it depends how much work and how many updates you have done since your previous nandroid. Titanium can be used for both downloaded and system apps and can be prgrammed to update as often as you like on various schedules.

Reactions: Vicx
Upvote 0
Root Explorer is useful for many other operations that require changing of permissions, for instance, as well as editing system files. Well worth having IMHO.

I see. I think I'll skip it for now as I don't plan on doing anything drastic yet as I still have a lot to learn. I just want to get Dan's CM ROM installed and get used to that for at least a month while I keep learning.

I always make a nandroid if I am about to flash a new ROM as well as one after I have flashed it. A nandroid is a mirror image in time and it depends how much work and how many updates you have done since your previous nandroid. Titanium can be used for both downloaded and system apps and can be prgrammed to update as often as you like on various schedules.

So a Nandroid is like a mirror image of your HDD? I think I get it now.
Also, is PhilZ CWM Recovery like the 'safe mode' in Windows?

I've done my backups and I'm ready to install CM: boot into CWM, wipe data/factory reset, select CM, flash, select Gapps, flash, then reset.. sounds easy enough, just hope it goes to plan.
Tempted to try his 4.4.4 GE ROM but I think CM is enough for now, plus I want something solid and thoroughly tested as I don't plan on doing this often. It's mind boggling how people flash new ROMs every week.

Just sharing a piece of my mind here. The main reason I'm doing all this is to reclaim ownership of my phone. It's unbelievable how Samsung would willingly sabotage their own device and release it in this state, bogged down with so much crap and bloatware.
The battery life was driving me nuts, I've been used to charging once a week for years but now I'm charging daily. An extended battery (Anker) solved that but I know it'll be much better on a cleaner ROM and I want to make the most of my device anyway, especially considering I know the hardware is capable of a lot more and deserves some respect, not to mention I spent $440usd on it in Thailand.
I only had my phone for a week and I was already teaching my friend who had theirs for months all the basics and removing most of the bloatware, so if the average joe has no idea what half this stuff is what is Samsung expecting us to think. We used to have phones that resembled bricks once upon a time, but now I see people carrying around bricks attached to their phones instead (power banks) and I'm guessing bloatware has a lot to do with it.

Reactions: sulasno
Upvote 0
Reactions: Vicx
Upvote 0
I successfully flashed CM, works fine so far. One problem though; I can't restore my old system apps data (messaging etc.) in Titanium, I assumed that was part of the backup but it only restored my downloaded apps :(

I plan to restore my old Nandroid backup and start over. I'll redo my Titanium backup (with system apps) then flash CM again and hopefully restore everything in full this time.

Do I boot into CWM and restore my Nandroid backup from 'backup and restore' and select my previous Nandroid backup on the SD?

Upvote 0
first of all thanks a lot for such a detailed thread. i followed the steps exactly and rooted my device but i have noticed frequent auto restart which has never happened before the rooting.im quite new to android.these are the device details
samsung galaxy s4 i9505 4G LTE version
firmwares are Ap:I9505XXUGNE5
CP:I9505XXUGNE5
CSC I9505OJVFNE1
Android version is 4.4.2
Kernel version is 3.4.0-1567293
i cleared the cache as well but problem is still there.
thanks in advance...

Upvote 0
I'd guess the answer is no.

1. Ironass no longer has an s4 so the fact he updates it and replies at all is nothing short of fantastic.

2. Cf auto root is a tried and tested method(one he used prior on the s2, on his s4 when he had it and unless things have changed, probably used it in the s5 he now has.)

3. He most likely has not tried using towelroot so wouldn't advise others to do so and if memory serves, has had to help others who have had issues using towelroot.

And finally, not meaning to sound harsh or having a go as it could just be the way you've written the question.... a Knox device cannot be flashed with an old stock firmware as it can mess things up. Most phones now, coming New, will have New bootloader(mine did :-( ) while the vast majority of other users will probably have updated their phone without any knowledge or thought on it having an issue. You'll find most s4's on old bootloader will be rooted ones like my old one :-(

So yeah, I doubt he will....though maybe he will now just to prove me wrong :p

Upvote 0
There is a guide done by W0lfdroid (and video on youtube) which details how to do it. I remember Ironass from the S2 forums and I highly value his advice on rooting, so am reluctant to try the w0lfdroid method without knowing the thoughts of Ironass first. TBH, I would rather stay unrooted than risk a method Ironass was not happy with.

I was also curious as to why there was no mention of the Towelroot method on here, especially before the kernels were updated to stop it working.

Knox isn't important to me as my company do not issue us with mobile phones at all, so I would have no need to use my S4 as a works phone. It's just a personal thing that IF I can avoid tripping it then I would rather do that.

The only annoying thing about my S4 ATM is the Samsung Facebook login that sets off a notification every few days.

Upvote 0
Any plans to update the guide for using Towelroot. I know the kernels have been updated so it no longer works, but I believe it is possible to use an OLD stock original firmware that does not trip the Knox counter, root with Towelroot and then update your phone from there.

It's like this togger161... towelroot uses an exploit that has since been closed off in the latest firmware releases. Therefore, you need to seek out an older firmware for your model and CSC code and download and flash it before you can use towelroot which, as we have seen from the forums, is not always successful.

Alternatively, you can just download and flash the CF-Root kernel from post #1 and you are rooted.

The choice, as they say, is yours. ;)

Reactions: togger161
Upvote 0
Really good guide - thanks to the OP. I am still left with some confusion over this KNOX thing.

I have an S4, Model GT-I9505, Android 4.4.2 with an AP number ending in NG8 which from reading this article is post KNOX.

What exactly are the consequences of trying to root a KNOX phone? If the 'KNOX flag' is triggered, then what does this actually mean, what happens to my phone if it does trigger?

Can I safely root the phone or not, because it doesn't seem clear from the article.

Upvote 0
What exactly are the consequences of trying to root a KNOX phone? If the 'KNOX flag' is triggered, then what does this actually mean, what happens to my phone if it does trigger?

Can I safely root the phone or not, because it doesn't seem clear from the article.

Your phone is perfectly safe to root providing that your employers do not require you to have a Knox Secure phone for work purposes.

Upvote 0
I do connect my personal phone to the work's exchange server to get my email and outlook calendar. To have this access i had to agree that my phone could be remotely wiped if it was lost ori left the company. I dont know if tripping the knox will make this not work?

It sounds as though you may need to retain your Knox flag. Check with your IT department and ask them to clarify the situation.

Upvote 0
I do connect my personal phone to the work's exchange server to get my email and outlook calendar. To have this access i had to agree that my phone could be remotely wiped if it was lost ori left the company. I dont know if tripping the knox will make this not work?
I connect my phone to works exchange server as you describe. No issues whatsoever with rooting and Knox.

BTW there are mods out there that will bypass the exchange security requirements. Alternatively you can use the nine email app, which applies the security measures at app level only rather than to the whole phone.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones