• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Rooting questions...

htc_one

Lurker
Jul 14, 2013
Hello guys iam new to android,so have sme questions....what does root and flash mean.if i install next launcher in my htc one will it conflict with the htc sense and damage my phone,if so what to do.
AND ALS USING APPS SUCH AS ROOT XPLORER CAUSE ANY HARM . PLZ HELP
THANKSS

Hello guys iam new to android,so have sme questions....what does root and flash mean.if i install next launcher in my htc one will it conflict with the htc sense and damage my phone,if so what to do.
AND ALS USING APPS SUCH AS ROOT XPLORER CAUSE ANY HARM . PLZ HELP
THANKSS

Welcome to Android Forums.

"Rooting" an Android device is using special software to open up areas of the system to the user which have been blocked by the manufacturer of the device. Those areas are dangerous if exposed to users who are not well versed on what to do with them.

The advantages have mostly to do with removing the proprietary software included by the carrier/provider and manufacturer known as "bloatware," you can make choices about those apps/widgets or ads that you could not make un-rooted.

Another advantage has to do with customization via special ROMs created by developers who specialize in rooting and makeing attractive, useful, fast ROMs which are "flashed" to the system during the ROM installation procedures.

I see no need to root an HTC One, but obviously a lot of users of that device disagree with that.

Check out the All Things Root sub-forum for your device version (by carrier) right above this main HTC One forum. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi htc_one, and welcome to AF :)

Root is the linux administrator account, so rooting is the process of gaining administrator access. In itself it changes nothing about the phone's operation, it just gives you the option of changing things you couldn't change before, if you choose to do so. The analogy is between using an administrator account vs an ordinary user account on a PC.

Flashing is a generic term for the way you install system software - the name comes from the fact that this is kept in "flash storage". The same name is used whether you are installing via a custom recovery (as we would for custom ROMs), or using an official HTC update package.

Installing a new launcher won't cause any problems - it's just an ordinary app. A launcher is an app that provides desktops, docks and an app drawer, and the HTC Sense launcher is no different. You can install multiple launchers on your phone and change between them as you feel. I'm currently running Apex on my phone just because it's more flexible than the Sense launcher. The only thing you loose is that HTC's own widgets only work with the HTC launcher. You seriously do not have to worry about damaging the phone by installing apps like this.

Root Explorer is just a file explorer app, except that it's one that's capable of exploring the whole filesystem, including system files. Without root you won't be able to do any damage with it. With root and S-Off you can, if you choose, use it to add or remove system files, which of course could potentially stop your ROM working. Of course the same is true if you use the administrator account on your PC - if you decide to delete things without knowing what they are needed for you could make your PC unbootable. As long as you don't use it to alter things that you don't know can be safely altered it's perfectly safe. The same is true for any app with the capability of altering system software - just don't fiddle with things unless you understand what you are doing and you'll be fine.

If you choose to root, there's one fundamental rule to follow. Your main tool is a custom recovery - a replacement for the HTC recovery program which allows you to do a lot more, including clear parts of the phone's data, install software (eg flash custom ROMs), and crucially to make complete system backups. So the rule is that before you make anychange to system software, even as simple as rooting in the first place, you take a backup from the custom recovery first (often called a nandroid backup). That way if anything goes wrong, you can just reload the recovery. And I would apply this rule to using Root Explorer or Titanium Backup to remove bloatware as well as to flashing new ROMs - if you remove something that was important, as long as you have a nandroid it's very easy to fix.

Edit: Ah, I see Frisco got in while I was typing all of that :)

Reactions: htc_one
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones